cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is "Default-Application-Backup" ?

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.5.0.5

whenever i create a backup policy, this "Default-Application-Backup" (with type "Application Backup") is always there. so i have to remove it because i have my own schedules.

what is it and why it gets created all the time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If that appears then your policy tyoe is one that requires it - such as a SQL backup

That type of backup generally uses a script to run (a bch file for SQL)

When your schedule runs it activates what is in effect a user backup on the client which then runs its script and that script uses the default aplication backup schedule to actually run

Without it the backup will not run / work

Note that the job also takes its retention period from the default application schedule and not your schedule (unless you are using SLPs)

Normal file system backups do not have this tyoe of schedule

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If that appears then your policy tyoe is one that requires it - such as a SQL backup

That type of backup generally uses a script to run (a bch file for SQL)

When your schedule runs it activates what is in effect a user backup on the client which then runs its script and that script uses the default aplication backup schedule to actually run

Without it the backup will not run / work

Note that the job also takes its retention period from the default application schedule and not your schedule (unless you are using SLPs)

Normal file system backups do not have this tyoe of schedule

Hope this helps

manatee
Level 6

hmm you're right. i deleted it from my backup policy and it came back by itself.

thanks.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In support of Mark's excellent explanation -  you may want to read up about Default-Application-Backup in the manual for the Database Agent that you are using.

You need to bear in mind that the Automatic schedule will merely kick off the backup.
Default-Application-Backup needs to have an open window during which these 'user type' backups will be allowed. The default is 24x7.
Also note that the retention level in Automatic schedule is NOT applied to the actual backup - the retention level assigned to Default-Application-Backup determines retention levels.

You can find links to all NBU manuals in 'Handy NBU Links' in my signature.