cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is the NBU config file stored?

manatee
Level 6

as i will be receiving a bigger storage for the images, i thought i'd start fresh and instead create a new NBU server with this bigger storage attached.

but one thing getting in my way is, where is the location of the config file that tells NBU where the following are located:

• backup images
  • catalog
  • backup policies
  • database (does NBU use a database?)

if i can find that config file i can easily duplicate my existing installation to the new server. hopefully.

appreciate any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no config file containing this info.

You can find locations for catalog and database in NBU Admin Guide I under "Parts of the NetBackup Catalog".

MSDP backup images was determined at the time of MSDP config.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

There is no config file containing this info.

You can find locations for catalog and database in NBU Admin Guide I under "Parts of the NetBackup Catalog".

MSDP backup images was determined at the time of MSDP config.

that's my problem. the vendor who initially installed NBU didn't submit any documentation nor did any knowledge transfers.

so, what are backup images look like if i browse them via the OS?

got it!

RiaanBadenhorst

NetBackup's configuration are kept in a lot of places, some of it is in config files in various locations on the file system, and other settings are kept in the EMM. I know cause I've built a confi document generation tool and i still haven't figured out where to find some of the settings so I can include them in the report.

Marianne
Level 6

Please don't confuse MSDP dedupe catalogs with the rest of NBU catalogs.

You will have a single mount point for MSDP. The norm is to have 2 subdirectories here - one for MSDP catalog and another for the backup images. The contents under these folders is not really documented and I never felt the need to mess around here.
This mount point needs to be used for MSDP ONLY. NOTHING ELSE.

The location of NBU config and relational databases can be found in the folders as per the section in NBU Admin Guide 1.
If a separate mount point was created for NBU catalogs and relational database, you will find a symbolic link in /usr for openv with the location of the mount point/folder.
If only images folder was moved to another mount point, you will find a symbolic link in /usr/openv/netbackup/db for images.
The location of relational databases can be found in bp.conf.

If you want to move all of NBU config and relational databases to a new mount point (not MSDP mount point), you will find a process in  NetBackup in Highly Available Environments Administrator's Guide 
The topic is something like catalog replication in non-clustered environment.