cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do my Exchange 2010 DAG backups not use all my buffers

sclind
   VIP   

On my Windows 2003 Netbackup 7.1.0.4 master server I have NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS set to 48.  All my standard backups then use 48 buffers.

I have noticed my Exchange backups are only using 12 buffers.  Where might  this be set?  I can drill down to the clients and see where buffer sizes can be changed but I don't see where the number of buffers might be changed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

config folder does not exist on media servers. You have to create it. 
And then create SIZE_  and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS files with required values in them.

Master server config files applies to master only.

As per my previous post - each media server uses own config files or else the defaults if the files do not exist.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

Is the master server the only media server?
Or other media server(s) as well?

NUMBER_ and SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS must be created on all media servers where you want this buffer size to be used.

Please create bptm log on all media servers to check actual buffer and other parameters used during backups.

sclind
   VIP   

Marianne - these Exchange backups do use their own media server.

I looked in todays bptm log and consistently see:

8:05:02.303 [2224.8104] <2> io_init: using 12 data buffers
08:05:02.303 [2224.8104] <2> set_job_details: Tfile (2543717): LOG 1386252302 4 bptm 2224 using 12 data buffers

As far as setting the buffer 'number' and 'size' parameters I drill down into <install_directory>/netbackup/db and there is no 'config' directory below that.  Is that normal for a media server?  Or is there some other place I specify these parameters on a media server?

Scott

Marianne
Level 6

config folder does not exist on media servers. You have to create it. 
And then create SIZE_  and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS files with required values in them.

Master server config files applies to master only.

As per my previous post - each media server uses own config files or else the defaults if the files do not exist.

sclind
   VIP   

Marianne - I did not know that if the config directory does not exist I need to create it.  Let me do that (and create the files) and report back what happens.

sclind
   VIP   

After I changed the number of buffers (a small increase from 12 to 15) I started having jobs that were already running fail all over the place - status 13's, 24's).   I would have expected that jobs that were already running should not be affected by amy changes in these parameters.

Marianne
Level 6

Please ensure that log folders exist on media servers to troubleshoot backup failures: bptm and bpbrm.

On Exchange client: bpcd bpfis bpresolver bpbkar.

All the text in Job details will help to understand where in the backup process the error occurred.