cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why netbackup does not backup mdf and ldf files?

luckyman
Level 3

hi,

I am using veritas netbackup version 6.5.it is working correctly for all my paths.but it can not backup from my .mdf and .ldf files of  our sql server 2005.which configuration should I do? do I need to install any agent?please help me.

Best Regards,

luckyman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

There are two solutions:

1. Use MS SQL agent (it is a part of Windows client) to backup MS SQAL files (recommended approach).

2. Shut down MS SQL instance before backing up its datafiles (looks like workaround)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

There are two solutions:

1. Use MS SQL agent (it is a part of Windows client) to backup MS SQAL files (recommended approach).

2. Shut down MS SQL instance before backing up its datafiles (looks like workaround)

luckyman
Level 3

hi,

thanks alot for your reply.but how can I configure MS sql agent?

I see sql server agent (MSSQLSERVER) in the services.do you mean that  or another agent?

Best Regards

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Third solution.

have the dba's backup to a backup dir on disk

set up a policy to backup the backup dir to tape.  ( just time it so the backup to disk is finished before you have the schedule to tape start).

S_H1
Level 5
Partner

Hi.

You should read the following manual.

Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server Administrator's Guide

luckyman
Level 3

Dear sir,

thank you for your helpfull pdf.I could finally backup the database.but when I want to restore it I see the following error.would you please help me what to do?

OPERATION RESTORE
OBJECTTYPE DATABASE
DATABASE "testdb"
# The following image is type: Full
NBIMAGE "dedicate-3.MSSQL7.DEDICATE-3.db.testdb.~.7.001of001.20090214152437..C"
SQLHOST "DEDICATE-3"
NBSERVER "DENA"
BROWSECLIENT "dedicate-3"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
RESTOREOPTION REPLACE
RECOVEREDSTATE RECOVERED
TRACELEVEL MAX
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE

INF - RESTORE STARTED USING
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86)
Oct 14 2005 00:33:37
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)
Batch = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\dbext\mssql\temp\__10_32_58_228_00.bch, Op# = 1.
INF - Using backup image dedicate-3.MSSQL7.DEDICATE-3.db.testdb.~.7.001of001.20090214152437..C
INF - restore database "testdb" from VIRTUAL_DEVICE='VNBU0-5384-7076-1234681378' with  stats = 10, blocksize = 65536, maxtransfersize = 4194304, buffercount = 2, replace , norecovery
INF - Number of stripes: 1, Number of buffers per stripe 2.
ERR - Error in CreateEx: 0x80770007.
    CONTINUATION: - Failed to recognize the SQL Server instance name.
INF - OPERATION #1 of batch C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\dbext\mssql\temp\__10_32_58_228_00.bch FAILED with STATUS 1 (0 is normal). Elapsed time = 0(0) seconds.
INF - Results of executing <C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\dbext\mssql\temp\__10_32_58_228_00.bch>:
<0> operations succeeded. <1> operations failed.

Best regards,

luckyman

Giroevolver
Level 6

Are you restoring the SQL database to the server and instance you backed it up from? Also did you create the restore script on the same server?

Thanks Giro

luckyman
Level 3

hi,

the priviouse error happens when I want to restore on the backup server. I can restore backup from my netbackup client (where my sql server is installed) successfully.but suppose my client is damaged and I want to restore my database ,some where else.I want to know if I can restore my mdf and ldf files in a path on my netbackup server? and restore it directly to my sql server when it is necessary?

Best regards,

luckyman

Giroevolver
Level 6

Hi,

I believe you can't restore the flat files to a server as it was backed up by an SQL agent.

You need to restore the files to an SQL instance on another server. To do this you need to create the below file on your master server.

Installation path\NetBackup\db\altnames\No.Restrictions

This allows the a client to search through another clients backups to enable the restore.

Once this is done you log on to the client to you want to restore to and it will let you select another clients backups to restore. You need to do the backup as a Move template otherwise the restore will fail.

This is just a rough overview of how to do it but all this info is in the Netbackup SQL admin guide which should fill in the gaps!

Cheers

Giro

luckyman
Level 3
hi,
I could finally solve my netbackup problem. thank you for your help. but now in other place I am using backup exec 12.5. when I backup manually every thing is ok.but when I schedule for a weekly full backup and daily differential and log backup, full backup completes successfully but diffrential and log end with the following error:

0xe0000363 - the backup exec sql agent was not used to create the last full,differential, or log backup of this database.you must use the sql agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.
final error category : resource errors

please help me.

Best Regards,
luckyman

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
re-posting this second issue in the Backup Exec forum (if you haven't already ;) )