Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

win 2012 r2 client restore.

NBU35
Level 6

Hi

Master,Media : LinuxRHEL6, 7.6.0.2
Client WIn 2012 R2 DC. 7.6.0.1

System has crashed, it was a vm on hyper V 2012 r2.
we created a new vm with same name and config and ip. restored full C drive & then used w2koption.
and restored system states. and reused w2koption and stopped legacy client service. and rebooted machine.
restore completed sucessfully with status 0. logs attached.
how ever machine is not starting ..
kindly  suggest.

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You forgot to attach logs.

Was the client backup done with NBU installed on client and normal MS-Windows backup?

If normal Client backup was done, please try the steps in this TN (although it does not mention W2012):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56473 

If you have followed all of these steps, best to log a call with Support to find out if same TN can be used for W2012.

NBU35
Level 6

I have followed this document.

It was file level backup with client installed in machine and MS windows policy type.

NBU35
Level 6

when we boot the server, it is not able to find windows.
when opened the repair option of server. I found rather then restoring data to orginal C drive, it has restored data to some D drive, which do not exist at the time of the backup.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

not sure if that the cause or not...

form tech note;-

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56473

CAUTION: This is the most critical part of the restore that could result in a bootable system or non-bootable system.

Select the images that contain the Full and Incrementals (if applicable) backups and start a restore of the System State/Shadow Copy Components with the overwrite option enabled.

form log;- 
14:38:33.825 [624.4148] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - TAR RESTORED 20400 OF 20402 FILES SUCCESSFULLY
14:38:33.825 [624.4148] <2> dtcp_write: TCP - success: send socket (580), 53 of 53 bytes
14:38:33.825 [624.4148] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - TAR KEPT 2 EXISTING FILES
14:38:33.825 [624.4148] <2> dtcp_write: TCP - success: send socket (580), 32 of 32 bytes
14:38:33.825 [624.4148] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - TAR PARTIALLY RESTORED 0 FILES

it did not overwrite 2 files.. 

Marianne
Level 6

If you have followed the TN to the letter (see Nagalla's excellent post) and the restore is still not working, please log a support call with Symantec.

There is a possibility that steps may be different for W2012.

NBU35
Level 6

can we get to know which two files are not restored & overwritten ?

Marianne
Level 6

You should be able to find it in tar log.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

get the symantec support  as Marianne suggest .

and do let us know if you find any different steps for win2012

alternately if your system can not be down for long time...

since it is a VM, you can rebuild the OS on another VM and restore the Data and see if that can take your system back to normal..

and parallely you can work with technical support to get it restored as Full system.. 

hope for the best.. 

Marianne
Level 6

At my previous company we have followed the steps in the TN to recover the DC. 

It was up and running in less than 2 hours of the system failure. 
Server was probably W2008 as it happened about 3 years ago.
It was also a VM with normal MS-Window backup.

So, I know for a fact that the TN works if followed carefully.

Your issue may be a result of steps not followed or different method/steps for W2012.

Have logs ready when you log the call with Symantec.
Please let us know.

NBU35
Level 6

I have Logged a case with Symantec, but support is very average.

not expecting much from them :( .

but still hoping if i can get resolution on it.

NBU35
Level 6

Got a response from support, Guidelines for restoring system states of win2012 is exactly similar to win2008.

they are saying restore is successfull and issue at OS end.. however we can see 2 files missed by restore in tar logs. but they are sticking to their point and saying as restore finished with status 0, so restore is successful.

unable to get the root cause of this issue.

how ever I tried a test restore of one more win2012R2 machine following same procedure and it has worked.. machine is perfectly working fine after restore.

Marianne
Level 6

You may want to upgrade to 7.6.0.3 and start using BMR.

W2012 R2 clients supported with BMR as from 7.6.0.3.

NetBackup (tm) 7.x Operating System Compatibility List (Updated July 28, 2014)
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

for active directory recovery... better build new OS with same hostname and do dcpromo to join existing forest (presuming you already have another DC available)

... This must be done in case you are running out of time and recovery takes longer in case due to troubleshooting involved (configuration issues etc.)