Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows2000 Client OS type in netbackup 7.0

Anwar_Azad
Level 3
Certified

As per mu understanding from release notes

if we have netbackup 7.0 master and media servers. and client is at netbackup 6.5.x .We can backup this netbackup 6.5.x  client using netbackup 7.0 master and media servers.

I have windows2000 clients in my environment.

When we will be adding these client to the policy of netbackup 7.0 master server what will be the hardawe and OS type.

Please help me understand this as i think "PC,Windows2000" option will not be there in dropdown of Hardware and Operating System list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at this post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/missing-directive-list-nbu-701#comment-5075191

You should be able to copy class_template\Windows2000 from another/older/test server.

I have attached the folder that I've copied from our server.

Hope it helps!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
just create a directory as below, and restart GUI. /usr/openv/netbackup/client/PC/Windows2000

srinivas_boredd
Level 2

To support 2000 client in 7.x media servers should be 6.5.x with 64 bit hard ware.

then you can see PC,Windows2000" option  on policy List

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Anwar see the below it may help you. win2000 is not compitable with Netbackup 7

See the attached NetBackup_Install_Checklist (Page # 9)

Anwar_Azad
Level 3
Certified

I am going to keep windows2000 clients on netbackup 6.5.x and master and media servers will be on Netbackup 7.

RiaanBadenhorst

@ Zahid,

For your information, NetBackup 7 still supports 6.x (6.0 and 6.5) clients and media servers under the control of a NetBackup 7 Master Server. This means that customers running older (not supported under 7.0) Operating Systems like Windows 2000, Linux versions on 32-Bit platforms can still use the older client software to protect these systems.

The only drawback is that they will not be able to use the latest features available in the 7.0 client.

This gives your organization a little more time to upgrade the old Operating Systems.

Marianne
Level 6

Anwar, I just had a look on our Windows NBU 7 master server. You are right - W2000 does not appear in the drop-down list.

I had a look at this folder: C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\Client\Windows-x86

The following directories are present:

Windows2003
 Windows2008
 Windows7
 WindowsVista
 WindowsXP

Now I know on Unix Masters it is OK to simply create the folder here. I have never tried it on Windows masters. I'm not sure if the 'version' files that exists in the folder is needed. Unfortunately I do not have any W2000 servers to do a test for you...

Test by creating a Windows2000 folder or else select Windows 2003.

Zahid_Haseeb

Dear Riaan

I did not say any thing from my pocket guide. I do respect your comments but what i said is from the reference of Symantec document which is also attached for your reference. So kindly if you think that this is not correct, thn why not you directly comment on Symantec ? 

Marianne
Level 6

Zahid, Please check p.36 of NBU 7 Release Notes under the topic "About NetBackup backward compatibility"

The NetBackup_Install_Checklist you quoted from is for NBU 7 Client installation.

The original post is clearly a question about backing up a 6.5 client, which is perfectly supported.

Zahid_Haseeb

Sorry for misunderstanding

I agreed the 6.5.x client support with NBU Master/Media Server version 7

But what i said is regarding OS type.

""""When we will be adding these client to the policy of netbackup 7.0 master server what will be the hardawe and OS type"""" 

I showed the concern on client OS win2000 which i did not see in the above attached document. and i also highlighted in the attached SNAP

Rathore
Level 3

With NB 7.0 support for win 2k servers is dropped, However we can take backup using the NB Client of lower version on win 2k servers ..

Question : How to take Backup of windows open file as VSP is also dropped with NB 7.0 which we could have used with NB 6.5.x version ....

Thank You

Regards

Rathore

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I have windows 2000 pc's in a policy at 6.5.5

I upgraded to 7.0 then 7.0.1

(aix master)

After the upgrade the policy show it as:

Client name  Hardware: PC    OS: Windows2000

I did NOT re-created the directory

and if I look in the pull down I see PC:Windows2000

The 2000 servers continue to backup for me with no issues.

Rathore
Level 3

If creating the folder is not allowing you to see the windows 2000 as an option in the policy then try to install the client binaries that should correct the problem

vinnie_loe
Not applicable

I have confirmed that you can create the folder for NetBackup Server deployed in Windows environments.  This works fine for selecting any Server 2000 based clients; however, it does not fix the drop down menu in your "Backup Selections" tab.  For example, I need to perform System State Backups for Server 2000, but the only 2 OS's listed in the "Directive Set" are Server 2003 and Server 2008.  Is there a way to backup Server 2000 system states in Netbackup 7, or are we limited to pure file / folder backups?

Marianne
Level 6

Have a look at this post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/missing-directive-list-nbu-701#comment-5075191

You should be able to copy class_template\Windows2000 from another/older/test server.

I have attached the folder that I've copied from our server.

Hope it helps!

Cynthia_Christe
Level 4

I have a master server on 7.0.1 and several Windows 2000 clients on 6.5.4.  In my policy they are listed as Windows-x86,Windows2003.

RexW2011
Not applicable
Certified

I have a similar issue too. I used the method like Cynthia use. The normal files backup is fine but it’s failed for backing up system state.

Backup Selections are selected "Shadow Copy Componets:\" & "System State:\" but the backup of system state cannot be found in “Backup and Restore” view.

I havent tried place the Windows2000 folder that Marianne provided under class_template because the machine is in a production state.

Anyone can backup the system state of Windows 2000 with Netbackup 7.0 master server? Thanks in advance.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You can add the folder as suggested by Marianne, it wont break anything.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Not sure why your pull down box does not have it, mine does.

but if you do a All Local Drives it should get the system state (mine does)

So there was an FYI from Symantec to not put 2000 servers in the same policy as 2003 and 2008 servers where the backup selection is All Local Drives.