cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong tapes

Arun_K
Level 6

Tape L23582 arrived yesterday and was inventoried last night. This tape has a bad label of 0582L4 

I will also have the following coming in this afternoon from offsite that will need corrected. I will send a reminder once it gets here.

Tape L23592 with bad label 0592L4
Tape L23598 with bad label 0598L4
Tape L23644 with bad label 0644L4
Tape L23648 with bad label 0648L4

How to correct it in NBU?

0582L4 has been corrected , as shown below :

L23582 L23582L4 HCART TLD          
 How to correct it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I presume they inventory ok, you just have the problem when you try to use them ? If looks like the library shows 8 characters, and the media id should be the first 6, but for these tapes, the media id was the last 6. If they have expired, simply relabel them, but when you do, de-select the tick box so that it does not verify the label (else it will fail). The should give them a new label, and providing the media id generattion rules are correct (or are using default) it should give it the correct label. Martin

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I presume they inventory ok, you just have the problem when you try to use them ? If looks like the library shows 8 characters, and the media id should be the first 6, but for these tapes, the media id was the last 6. If they have expired, simply relabel them, but when you do, de-select the tick box so that it does not verify the label (else it will fail). The should give them a new label, and providing the media id generattion rules are correct (or are using default) it should give it the correct label. Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Where exactly did you see this 'bad label' message?

How is robot seeing the barcode? 6 or 8 characters? Use robtest to confirm.

How long ago were these tapes used? Were they used in same or different (previous) robot?

Is there Media ID Generation rule in vm.conf on master and/or robot control host? (MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS =  .....)
If so - where are you running Inventory from? If Admin Console from a desktop, are the same 
MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS entries in vm.conf of the desktop?

huanglao2002
Level 6

1 you can delete the new media from scratch pool

2 open the inventory gui

3 set the barcode gen rules.

4 starting inventory.

Arun_K
Level 6

mwdia id generation rules are in place.

@Martin: de-select the tick box so that it does not verify the label (else it will fail).

What if i select this check box?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It will read the media id on the tape, find it does not match with the new media you want to use for the tape and fail.

Martin

Arun_K
Level 6

ok.So relabel is the option which i need to do.

cant i delete the tape from NBU and reinventory it again?

correct?

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

wait.....

what u want to do with these tapes?.... how many medias affected with these problesm ?

b'coz relabel may lead to cause loss of data from that media.

if u want to use thses meadi as ablank media then you can re-label.....else dont..

what kind of barcode you are using ?? L23582  or 3582L4  (check with other medias....) & according to that you need to set barcode rules in robot.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Good point ...  I did say "if they have expired", but Arun, be sure you do not need these tapes.

As they are coming back to site, it may suggest they have already expired, but be aware of this.

Arun_K
Level 6

@Martin:

they have already been expired.

Can i just delete them and reinventory them?

correct?

Marianne
Level 6

If media id is L23592 (1st characters of barcode) but internal label is 0592L4 (last 6 characters), you will have to re-label it.

Inventory won't fix it.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

EDITED.

Deleted post as I was aseep when I wrote it, Marianne pointed out my mistake ....

Arun,

You asked advice, and I gave you a solution, explaining that you have to relabel the tape.  I am not sure why, you then ask if just a inventory will fix it.

You should know enough about NBU now to understand that an inventory does not label tapes, and as the 'wrong' media header is actually written at the beginning of the tape 

I really really don't understand threads like this, within a couple of posts you were given what we believe is the solution, and several days later we are still disussing it without anything actually being done.

Regards,

Martin

Marianne
Level 6

I really really don't understand threads like this, within a couple of posts you were given what we believe is the solution, and several days later we are still disussing it without anything actually being done.

Probably another theoretical post....

Exactly how we know Nikhil:

What will happen if I do.... ?

What will happen if I don't.... ?