cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xfs filesystem in vmware virtual machine

dhananjaya
Level 3

Hi Team

I am using Netbackup 7.5.0.3 and Esxi 5.1 . I have a virtual  machine which is running Suse 11 Sp2 and mount point configured in  xfs filesystem ( separate virtual disk and it is not a indipendent disk). When I am going to restore the virtual machine ( restore from normal backup)  it doen't show any data in the xfs filesystem partition.  is this due to not support or configration issue. but when I check the restore from virtual machine backup it shows all the vmdx files.

How can I fix this

Regards,

Dhananjaya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

From the compatibility guide it does not list xfs as a supported file system for Mapped Full VM, only Full VM - so i am guessing that it cannot do the granular restore from xfs file systems:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

From the compatibility guide it does not list xfs as a supported file system for Mapped Full VM, only Full VM - so i am guessing that it cannot do the granular restore from xfs file systems:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

dhananjaya
Level 3

Hi Mark,

thanks for the quick response. I also guessing that is unsupported now. I am waiting at least any patch to enhance this feature.

Dhananjaya

huanglao2002
Level 6

Can you try to install netbackup client to the clients,backup the file system as normal files.

dhananjaya
Level 3

Hi Huanglao,

Yea. I belived that is  my last option. By the way I belived in that method backup data travel via LAN which is more slow than SAN. 

Any suggstions for that.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

It would need to be a SAN Client which may be difficult or impracticable in a VMWare environment

I am afraid a standard cleint backup is your last option - of course if you use de-dupe you could try accelerator backups to speed things up

dhananjaya
Level 3

Thanks Mark..

Yes, I am planning configure it as normal file system backup using netbackup client tool. By the way could plase give me some hints regaring de-dupe in VmWare environment

Thanks.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I was referring to using accelerator with the standard client (so not directly interfacing with VMWare) which can make a huge speed difference for backups.

When 7.6 comes out we will also get VMWare accelerator - but that may still not solve your xfs issue unless 7.6 supports it (haven't read the full notes on the Beta yet!)

dhananjaya
Level 3

Thanks Mark, 

I will look the possibility of  implement accelerator feature as standard client ( hope it will not affect by xfs filesystem again ) . At least if 7.6  supprt xfs file system restore through vmware, that will be grate for me :)