cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and PGP NetShare

clearlink
Level 2
Partner

Is there a way to use Backup Exec 2010 to backup and restore data that is encrypted using PGP NetShare?  I seem to be able to backup my data, but when I try to restore, I receive an "access denied" error.  This happens in both a redirected folder and the original folder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

clearlink
Level 2
Partner

It would seem that the initial information handed off by Symantec is that you need NetShare running on the server.  It is NetShare causing the problem in the backup/restore process and what one should do is NOT install NetShare on the server.  Only install NetShare on the desktop/client and from one of the clients, set the NetShare based on the share created on the server.  Once this is done, the files on the server will be accessible by Backup Exec to backup and restore, but the files themselves will be encrypted unless you have the NetShare client with a working key.  The main thing to remember if you want to use this software is NOT to install the program on the file server.  This may sound backwards, but it's how this software works.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

clearlink
Level 2
Partner

This is a single folder which has been encrypted by PGP NetShare 10.2.  The article talks about WDE from 2011.  Do you know if this issue is still the case?

clearlink
Level 2
Partner

It would seem that the initial information handed off by Symantec is that you need NetShare running on the server.  It is NetShare causing the problem in the backup/restore process and what one should do is NOT install NetShare on the server.  Only install NetShare on the desktop/client and from one of the clients, set the NetShare based on the share created on the server.  Once this is done, the files on the server will be accessible by Backup Exec to backup and restore, but the files themselves will be encrypted unless you have the NetShare client with a working key.  The main thing to remember if you want to use this software is NOT to install the program on the file server.  This may sound backwards, but it's how this software works.