cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade clients from MR1 to MR3 before I upgrade 2003 server

Savguy
Not applicable

I am looking to upgrade my endpoint protection from MR1 to MR3 on my servers and my clients. Can I upgrade the clients before I upgrade the servers (2003).

Also, I am looking for a good plan to accomplish this. Has anyone done this before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a read of this:

Migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 MR3  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105919

The migration plans says to upgrade the Manager first, then the clients can be upgraded.

Overview of the migration process
Migration to the current version of Symantec Endpoint Protection includes the following steps in order:

• Create a migration plan
    Before you begin to install the Symantec Endpoint client, manager, and any administration upgrades, you should have a solid understanding of your network topology and a streamlined plan to maximize the protection of the resources on your network during the upgrade. Symantec strongly recommends that you migrate the entire network to the current version rather than managing multiple versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection.
  • Backup up the database
    Before you upgrade, you should back up the database.
  • Disable replication
    If your site uses replication, you must disable replication before upgrading Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. You must disable replication at each site that replicates.
  • Stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service
    Before you upgrade, you must manually stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service on every management server in your site. After you upgrade, the service is started automatically.
    WARNING: You must stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service before you perform this procedure or you will corrupt your existing installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
  • Upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
    You do not need to uninstall management servers before you install the new version. The overinstall process saves legacy settings, and then upgrades to the latest version.
  • Enabling replication after migration
    After you migrate all servers that used replication including the servers that were configured for failover and load balancing, you need to re-enable replication. After migration, you add a replication partner to enable replication. You only need to add replication partners on the computer on which you first installed the management server. Replication partners automatically appear on the other management servers.
  • Upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection Clients
    You do not need to uninstall previous clients before you install the new version. The overinstall process saves legacy settings, and then upgrades to the latest version.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a read of this:

Migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 MR3  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105919

The migration plans says to upgrade the Manager first, then the clients can be upgraded.

Overview of the migration process
Migration to the current version of Symantec Endpoint Protection includes the following steps in order:

• Create a migration plan
    Before you begin to install the Symantec Endpoint client, manager, and any administration upgrades, you should have a solid understanding of your network topology and a streamlined plan to maximize the protection of the resources on your network during the upgrade. Symantec strongly recommends that you migrate the entire network to the current version rather than managing multiple versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection.
  • Backup up the database
    Before you upgrade, you should back up the database.
  • Disable replication
    If your site uses replication, you must disable replication before upgrading Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. You must disable replication at each site that replicates.
  • Stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service
    Before you upgrade, you must manually stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service on every management server in your site. After you upgrade, the service is started automatically.
    WARNING: You must stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service before you perform this procedure or you will corrupt your existing installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
  • Upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
    You do not need to uninstall management servers before you install the new version. The overinstall process saves legacy settings, and then upgrades to the latest version.
  • Enabling replication after migration
    After you migrate all servers that used replication including the servers that were configured for failover and load balancing, you need to re-enable replication. After migration, you add a replication partner to enable replication. You only need to add replication partners on the computer on which you first installed the management server. Replication partners automatically appear on the other management servers.
  • Upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection Clients
    You do not need to uninstall previous clients before you install the new version. The overinstall process saves legacy settings, and then upgrades to the latest version.