cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you recommend to partners working on specializations?

BryanBelnap
Level 3
Employee

This is a question for partners who have already achieved one or more specializations. What do you recommend to those partners who aren't yet specialized? In your experience, what's the best way to start? Which tools did you find helpful (or not)?

6 REPLIES 6

Auntyasher
Level 3

Bryan,

There are some 9 specialization types. Depending on your business focus and expertise, you may like to refer to the PartnerNet that spells more details on the types, focus and benefits.

Tools towards specialization, I find the latest version Pathways to Enablement v2.0 to be quite informative as it provides partner a pathway how to achieve these specializations.

This is also posted in the PartnerNet

BryanBelnap
Level 3
Employee

Thanks, Auntyasher! Certainly our partners can find lots of relevant info on PartnerNet. I'm hoping to hear from partners to understand what they've found useful out of all the materials we make available. 

browserman
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I would advise them to get the SMB Specialization. I have the SMB specialization and it has many rewards and resources that are beneficial.

UFO
Level 6

On more than 1 year experience in this area I have to say that getting STS certified is the main challenge.

To start with the STS certification:

1. Determine the product line you want to focus on
  2. Contact your local distributor and ask them for help (they might have a lab available for training)
  3. Don't be shy to ask questions for your local Symantec representative.
  4. Use Entsupport for technical documentation and Connect for specific questions (experienced tech pros density is high here)
  5. Invest in training (at least try to pass the exam - the price is not so high, but you will know what areas lack knowledge).

If possible, get access to E-Books, and use PartnerNet free online trainings (they are good) and install Symantec Enablement toolkit.

teiva-boy
Level 6

SMB Specialization is a fantastic first start for all partners large and small.  At least for North America.  I do not know if the same benefits apply to other countries.

STS is imperative for ALL deployment engineers.  It doesn't take a year of experience though IMO.  However, it does take almost that amount of time to amass the needed knowledge to pass the tests.  If however you've been installing and setting up a particular product for a number of years, you may be able to pass already!  I know I was able to pass a few on the first try only because I've deployed them many a time already.  

After that, look into the support cert, which I think requires at least the SMB tract to be completed.  This way as an engineer, they can call into Tier 2 support with their own support ID number, and not the customer's.  

Goltrek
Level 4
Partner Accredited

In my company, we designed a roadmap to develop and reach each specialization (currently, we hold five specializations - Enterprise Security, Endpoint Management, Archive and eDiscovery, SMB and DLP). In fact, STS is the main challenge.

Our roadmap, is very close to the Action Plan suggested here by Volo.

Regards,

Goltrek