cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon S3 Backup Services

simc-pk
Level 3

I couldn't help but notice the useS3BackupSvc XML key in the "C:\Program Files\Symantec Protection Network\BackupAgent\.state\balocalsettings.xml" file.  Is this going to be a feature somewhere down the line?  I'm tempering my enthusiasm for the time being, but I think that would be quite neat.

simc-pk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Richard_Goodwin
Level 4
Certified

simc-pk,

Good eyes!

The configuration key you noticed is a legacy option from some of our earlier experimentation during the research and development of Symantec Online Backup.

As part of our exploration, we looked at a number of different architectures, including the use of an S3 style of storage service. Ultimately we decided that, as part of the shared platform to deliver multiple services that we were building with SPN, designing our own storage solution made the most sense from a performance, security, and reliability standpoint.

In the time since our original design decisions, storage as a service has made great strides in these areas; as such, we continually evaluate internal expansion strategies as well as partnerships for building blocks of our solutions.

If and when we decide to support another storage provider as part of the solution, based on the attributes I mentioned above, we'll let you know via official communications, including the forums and blog."

Richard Goodwin

SPN Product Management

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Richard_Goodwin
Level 4
Certified

simc-pk,

Good eyes!

The configuration key you noticed is a legacy option from some of our earlier experimentation during the research and development of Symantec Online Backup.

As part of our exploration, we looked at a number of different architectures, including the use of an S3 style of storage service. Ultimately we decided that, as part of the shared platform to deliver multiple services that we were building with SPN, designing our own storage solution made the most sense from a performance, security, and reliability standpoint.

In the time since our original design decisions, storage as a service has made great strides in these areas; as such, we continually evaluate internal expansion strategies as well as partnerships for building blocks of our solutions.

If and when we decide to support another storage provider as part of the solution, based on the attributes I mentioned above, we'll let you know via official communications, including the forums and blog."

Richard Goodwin

SPN Product Management