cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Storage Duplicate Set Copy Needed?

ntruhan
Not applicable
Hello,

I am currently running the trial of the Online Storage using Backup Exec 12.5 Small Business Edition.

We currently have about 35 - 40GB of data that gets backed up in our full backups that occur once a week now, and about 5GB of data that gets backed up as a differential the rest of the week mon - thurs.  (office is closed on weekends).

There are, of course, two jobs that do this, a full and differential.  AS a trial, I setup an account with the Online Storage and setup a Duplicate Set Copy of the Differential Job.

There are two problems that we are running into with this. 
First, both jobs currently backup to a DAT-40/80 Tape system running with hardware/software failback compression.

Once that job runs, if it does run successfully, we have had a LOT of backup failures with the tapes, upgraded tapes, cleaned, etc... which prompted us to upgrade from BackupExec 11d to 12.5 and start Online Storage.
Since the upgrade, however, the tapes are also suceeding, but I do not want to rely on them fully, but this is where the 2nd problem lies.

The Differential job runs and dumps the job to tape.  THEN the duplicate set job reads from this tape, whether it finished successfully or not, and duplicates this out to the online storage, completely
eliminating the reason for us getting the online storage, then the online storage copy is SO SLOW due to the DSL connection the busineess has 2Mb connection, it takes almost 1 1/2 days to copy 5 1/2 GB of data up, thereby occupying the tape drive itself and missing a daily incremental!

Please let me know if this is possible.  What I want to do is create four jobs, one that will do daily incrementals to the tapes and a friday full to the tapes, one that will do a daily incremental to the online storage not containing unnecessary duplicate info and a weekend full to the storage.  Completely seperate from eachother so they are not dependent on eachother and do not tie up the system for days!

Thanks all.
Nathan
2 REPLIES 2

joydeepdutt
Level 4

Hi

From your above discussion

I undesrtand that you dont want to get dependent only on Tapes.

Current scenario :

Mon -Thurs - Diffrentials - Tape ---> Duplicated to Online Storage ( but takes Time=1/2 days wherein - a day backup missed)
Friday  -Full Backup --> Duplicated to Online Storage  (no issue of time as its weekend)

Suggestions :
Option 1 :   DO    'INCREMNTAL'    BACKUP DAILY from MON- THURS    & send it to online storage
option 2 : Do  a  duplicate backup on USB harddisk  (now a days its reallly very economical to buy)

Thats best way I could suggest you

Regards
Joy

joydeepdutt
Level 4
Hi

Option2 which you were thinking in you orignal query :

"What I want to do is create four jobs, one that will do daily incrementals to the tapes and a friday full to the tapes, one that will do a daily incremental to the online storage not containing unnecessary duplicate info and a weekend full to the storage.  Completely seperate from eachother so they are not dependent on eachother and do not tie up the system for days!"

By above 3 lines you mean :
2 jobs    'INCREMNTAL'    BACKUP DAILY    from MON- THURS  & FRIDAY is FULL backup  
             & dupolicate to Online Storage   ------->[Fine !! this is okay]
2 jobs this would do the incremental of 2 jobs listed in above line. [ this woudl not work ] (here ,technically m when backup woudl run - it woudl see only the bkf files not the actual data for comparision   .... NOT RECOMMENDED)

Rest is all your decision!!!

Thanks