cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an OpsCenter server be renamed?

bbahnmiller
Level 4

Environment: Standalone Symantec OpsCenter Analytics 7.1.0.3 running on Windows 2008 R1.

Can the OpsCenter server be renamed? We have to decommission an AD domain in which our current OpsCenter server resides. So, effectively the FQDN will change. It would also be nice to change the short name at the same time, in order to comply with our new naming standards.

Has anyone done this before? I cannot find any reference to this in the documentation, tech notes or Connect.

I will probably open a case on this to be sure.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As Symboy Stated - The OpsCenter Database is independent of the hostname.

And you will want to make a backup of your current OpsCenter Database to migrate to the new host.

Symantec OpsCenter 7.1 Administrator's Guide

DBBACKUP - page 746 

After the database is backed up and the new host is brough online. (Must be the same currently running version, you can upgrade later)

You will then want to stop the services on the new host, and copy in the database.

./installpath/OpsCenter/Server/db/data/

Start OpsCenter and Verify data collection is working.

You will need to update the Master Server Host Properties / Servers / Additional Servers / to allow the new OpsCenter hostname to communicate with the Master.

In addition, any host file entries / dns - will also need to be in place for the new OpsCenter hostname.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

thesanman
Level 6

Sorry, not really sure but I recently moved my OpsCenter server from Windows to Linux (whoel new server, different name) and simply used the dbbackup script to backup the database; copied the files and restored them onto the new server with no issues whatsoever.  DB engines often get installed with the server name pretty well hardcoded into them.

It might be you have to backup the DB; then uninstall, change server name and re-install and them re-import the database.

Maybe upgrade the server hardware instead; pre-build it with software installed, then move the DB over (like I did).

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Opscenter database is independent of hostname .

Only problem you might have in case if you have made some host files entried , or having OC server name in the bp.conf ( Unix ) or  Host properties ( Windows ) . 

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As Symboy Stated - The OpsCenter Database is independent of the hostname.

And you will want to make a backup of your current OpsCenter Database to migrate to the new host.

Symantec OpsCenter 7.1 Administrator's Guide

DBBACKUP - page 746 

After the database is backed up and the new host is brough online. (Must be the same currently running version, you can upgrade later)

You will then want to stop the services on the new host, and copy in the database.

./installpath/OpsCenter/Server/db/data/

Start OpsCenter and Verify data collection is working.

You will need to update the Master Server Host Properties / Servers / Additional Servers / to allow the new OpsCenter hostname to communicate with the Master.

In addition, any host file entries / dns - will also need to be in place for the new OpsCenter hostname.