cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get Master server to connect to OPSCenter server

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

I am trying to get OpsCenter 7.5.0.5 working with my 7.5.0.5 Master Server, and cannot get the two to connect.

I installed OpsCenter on a seprate server just fine, and added the OpsCenter server just fine in the Master Server Properties dialog box. Thing is, I am using NBAC, and so when I try to go to run "vssat", the bin folder is not there on the Master Server:

%Program Files%\Veritas\Security\Authentication\bin : doesn't exist on my master server.

NBAC is running just fine for me, so I have no idea what the heck is missing.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

I ended up opning a ticket to get a little help, and figured the rest out on my own, so I'll post the little bit I learned in case someone else comes across this.

First off, apparently I needed to run the "Symantec Product Authenication Server" installation, from the OppCenter install media, on to the Master Server. That was never clearly indicated in the documentation, and from what I found, they made it sound like that was only necesasry for a cluster installation, which I do not have.

That put the "bin" folder in place, with the other necessary tools, namely vssat. 

Secondly, I needed to open a couple of firewall ports, so I used netsh to set those up:

To allow vssat to set up the trust, you'll need to open up port 2821 on the OpsCenter server:​
     netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="OpsCtr" dir=in action=allow protocol=tcp localport=2821

To allow the OpsCenter server to communicate with the Master Server, you need to open port 1556 on both:
     netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="OpsCtrClnt" dir=in action=allow protocol=tcp localport=1556

I am finally collecting data now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

watsons
Level 6
I believe you're trying to run the vssat command as in this technote: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO88063

Windows x86 or x64? See below...

On Windows x86, run C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Security\Authentication\bin\vssat
On Windows x64 , run C:\Program Files(x86)\VERITAS\Security\Authentication\bin\vssat

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

No, I'm trying to run the command as indicated in the documentation "NetBackup7.5_AdminGuide_OpsCenter.pdf", but the instructions are essentially the same.

The problem is that folder named "bin" doesn't exist under "Authentication", in either of those paths.

watsons
Level 6

Did a little bit more research.. look like things have changed in 7.5.0.x

In my 7.5.0.6, master server does not have that path anymore. Found the vssat.bat  (batch file) in C:\Program Files\Veritas\Netbackup\sec\at\bin\

Question is, I am not sure if vssat.bat is a replacement of the previous one in "Authentication" folder.

Apparently the 7.5 admin guide and technote were not updated to reflect this change.

Just curious, would it work if you run vssat from OpsCenter to setup the trust to that NBAC-ed master server?

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

I tried it from that folder, and cannot get vssat to run; I get the following errors:

vssat initAtHandle ERROR V-18-7115 Failed To Initialize Authentication Library.

Error initialising the AT Library
I cannot even run "vssat setuptrust --help". I get the same error.

Oh, and running vssat on the ops server gives me the same error message...

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

I ended up opning a ticket to get a little help, and figured the rest out on my own, so I'll post the little bit I learned in case someone else comes across this.

First off, apparently I needed to run the "Symantec Product Authenication Server" installation, from the OppCenter install media, on to the Master Server. That was never clearly indicated in the documentation, and from what I found, they made it sound like that was only necesasry for a cluster installation, which I do not have.

That put the "bin" folder in place, with the other necessary tools, namely vssat. 

Secondly, I needed to open a couple of firewall ports, so I used netsh to set those up:

To allow vssat to set up the trust, you'll need to open up port 2821 on the OpsCenter server:​
     netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="OpsCtr" dir=in action=allow protocol=tcp localport=2821

To allow the OpsCenter server to communicate with the Master Server, you need to open port 1556 on both:
     netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="OpsCtrClnt" dir=in action=allow protocol=tcp localport=1556

I am finally collecting data now.

watsons
Level 6

Good stuff! yes

Just curious, does it mean that "Symantec Product Authentication Service" does not get installed with the OpsCenter installer by default? 

The more I learn OpsCenter, the more I found there is too much info being left out from the documentation, not just the admin guide but also technotes.

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

Well, I installed the Ops Center on a separate server, so yes, it seems to have been installed on that Ops Center server. Nowhere in the documentation does it say to also install it on the Master Server.

Under the sections referring to connecting to a cluster install, then yes, it says to install it on the Master, but seeing as how I am not using any clusters, I essentially skipped over those steps.

I hate it when tech documentation is a hodgepodge like that.