cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizing Reports

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified

I am looking at the "Client Risk Analisys" report in VBR 6.5.1, and I would like to see the SQL query that is generating this report, or be able to dive into additional customization of this report.  In order to give a more accurate picture, I would like to be able to break this down by a number of hours.  The current report can only tell me which clients have not been backed up within the past day, but I would like to see this restructured to be the past 36 hours, or something simillar.  Also, the report shows the last attempted Full and Incremental backups, I would like to see the report display the Job Error Code for these backups (as this gives me an early indication of what direction to look in investigating the failure.) 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin Good

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified

I tried setting the log level to FINEST, and running the query, I can not find any SQL queries in the log, even when I searched the directory "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\VRTSweb\log" for files containing the word "SELECT"

I also tried restarting the vbr services, and noticed that when I do that, the log level gets reset to INFO

If it makes any difference, VBR is installed to D:\Program Files\Symantec\Veritas Backup Reporter\

rather than the default location.

Upon further digging, it appears that the SQL queries are logged in D:\Program Files\Symantec\Veritas Backup Reporter\Server\Logs

Thanks for the guidance.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Joe_Pfeiffer
Level 4

Hey Kevin,

You can create reports like you described in the custom report wizard by selecting the columns you want (like client name, error code, last full/incremental etc).  But if you'd prefer to go with direct SQL here is how to do it:

1.    Go to Settings >> Global Settings >> Server Status
2.    Select Server Log Level from the left-hand pane
3.    Change Log Level to FINEST and click on apply

Then run the report you want to see the SQL for.  Afterwards...

1.    On Windows go to C:\Program Files\VERITAS\VRTSweb\log or on Solaris /install_location/VRTSweb/log

2.    Find the file vbr0.0.log
3.    Open up the file and do a find on “SELECT”.  This will find all entries in the log using the SQL Select statement.  (Note – There may be many of these that are not directly related to the specific report query).  Look for the one with a time-stamp of the report just run.

Make sure to turn down the logging level after you get the SQL needed, otherwise the log files can fill up the file system very quickly.

Thanks!

-Joe

Tim_Miller
Level 4
Do you need to restart VBR services to make this effect take place?

Joe_Pfeiffer
Level 4
Nope, no need to bounce services - just make sure to turn it back down when you're done.

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified

I tried setting the log level to FINEST, and running the query, I can not find any SQL queries in the log, even when I searched the directory "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\VRTSweb\log" for files containing the word "SELECT"

I also tried restarting the vbr services, and noticed that when I do that, the log level gets reset to INFO

If it makes any difference, VBR is installed to D:\Program Files\Symantec\Veritas Backup Reporter\

rather than the default location.

Upon further digging, it appears that the SQL queries are logged in D:\Program Files\Symantec\Veritas Backup Reporter\Server\Logs

Thanks for the guidance.

Joe_Pfeiffer
Level 4
My bad, those instructions were from an earlier release before the path changed.  Glad you figured it out though!