cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty volume pools ?

jnardello
   VIP    Certified

Anyone have a good way of reporting on empty volume pools ? We've got a fair number of legacy Masters with weird volume pools that don't get used anymore that I'm trying to clean up.

Any suggestions for how to do this with VBR ? Or heck, I'll take NOM code too if that's easier. =) 

Thanks!

John

3 REPLIES 3

Joe_Pfeiffer
Level 4

Hey John,

If you do a custom tabular report and add the two fields "Backup Media Barcode" and "Volume Pool Name" that will give a listing of every backup media used - you'll have duplicates since multiple jobs may have went to the same tape).  So to limit this to just one unique tape per volume pool select "distinct" for "Backup media barcode".  That will give the number of tapes per volume pool (getting close now).  The last thing would be to add a filter to select "backup media is current" = yes.  That will get rid of any historical volume pools when they had tapes and just take a look at the latest snapshot of media/volume pool information.

Thanks!

-Joe

John_Nardello
Level 3

Yep, add a column for the Master server and I think that's exactly what I was looking for. None if only it didn't take forever to run for the entire Enterprise I'd be all set. Guess that's what schedules are for though. =)

John_Nardello
Level 3

Turns out I was wrong - this report is really close to what I wanted but not quite. It kicks out a listing of all volume pools "with media in them". I need a list of every volume pool that doesn't have any - the only thing that doesn't show in this report. =)

I tried excluding all tape types and such from this report and got nothing so I'm guessing it's a limitation of the two fields being reported on. 

Any other suggestions ?