cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host mismatch between Netbackup and OpsCenter

JNO_123
Level 4

Hi,

We missing clients that is expected to be in OpsCenter (there is active backup images)

We see clients still in OpsCenter (there is no active backupimages)

Is there anyway to "Force" client update / client cleanup in the database?

Some clients, hostnames, apears more than one time in the complete client list.
But if we use the Search function, the system only show one host.

Environment:

Master: Windows 2008R2 7.6.1.1

OpsCenter: Windows 2008R2 7.6.1.1

Br
Jonas 

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please post the queries or reports you're using.

JNO_123
Level 4

Hi,

I'll will try to exemplify what I'm seeing.

First example shows the missmatch between ops-center and NBU-Catalog.

First picture showing the first clients from the complete list (pict1-allclients)
Second pic shows what I want to search after (pict2-searchexample-1)
Third pic shows the reply from the search (pict3-searchexample-reply-1)
Fourth pic shows a catalog search from a client found in ops-center (pic4-catolog-search-1)
Fifth pic shows a catalog search after a known client not found in ops-center (pict5-catolog-search-2)

Second example shows the how search and "complete list" not show same info.
First picture showing the first clients from the complete list (pict1-allclients)
Sixth pic shows what I want to search after (pict6-searchexample_2)
Seventh pic shows the reply (pict7-searchexample-reply_2)

Hope this is clear.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Ok I would say that it is because OpsCenter collects information for reporting purposes, and is not the NetBackup Catalog. Say for instance you have a client, CLIENT A, it is very important and you need to keep audit information for it. Its backed up for 2 years ( backups retention 1 year) but then gets replaced by another client, CLIENT B.

After 1 year the images for CLIENT A would be expired in the catalog, and you will not be able to restore it. But what if the government, management, or some other authority wants you to prove that you backed it up 2 years ago. That information would be avialable via opscenter (given that you don't purge before 2 years)

So i would say what you're seeing is normal. there might be more attributes you could add to your search by using custom SQL queries instead of the ones from the GUI. You can check in the opscenter schema doc.

JNO_123
Level 4

Hi,

I'm fully aware of the difference, between OPS-Center and NBU-Catalog.

But again there are clients not cleaned/remove from OPS-Center and viceversa.

If your theory should be accurate, why does client "bbn112" show up in the search but not "bbn110" both removed from NBU at the same time, and both have active images, and bbn010 which shows up in the ops-center search, and has no active images. 

Lastbackup:
bbn010  8/23/2012
bbn110  8/22/2013
bbn112 8/20/2013

RiaanBadenhorst

Please post the query.

JNO_123
Level 4

They show up in same "queries" as attached pictures.

areznik
Level 5

You might be running into OpsCenter's alias system. OpsCenter has some logic built in for determining when 2 or more client names belong to the same physical (or virtual) server. Sometimes these names will be things you've never configured into a policy (like IP adresses). Then on top of that, using some kind of arcane magic, it will pick one of these names and decide that this is now and forever the display name for this server. This is why you might have backups for 'abc.example.com' and 'abc' but you will always see it on reports as 'abc' 

You can, to some degree, see and control this under Settings > Configuration > Host Alias

You can also check these relationships in the domain_Client table. For example if you run "select * from domain_Client where name = 'abc' " you should get one row with an id value (lets say its 123), then run "select * from domain_Client where id=123" you will get back all the names OpsCenter has for this server. 

Im not sure if this is the source of your problem but it is probably coming into play and making troubleshooting this more difficult. 

HTH