cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitor VBR itself?

pierresopel
Level 3

I have not be able to find any good documentation discussing how to monitor VBR itself. Things like, how many reports are currently running, queud. How to test the various processes are responding etc. Anyone have ideas or could help point me in the right direction?

The minimum I'd like to monitor is to figure out if the vbr is "hung". At times the process list seems is normal but reports might not run.

5 REPLIES 5

Rick_Brown
Level 4
Please look at the agent configuration data/status.
Settings/Global Settings/AgentConfiguration
under the Agent Status, click on "Show Details"

This will show you the status of the processes for each master server you're collecting data from.

Another way to do this is to look at the number of files in the "Spooler" directory on the VBR server. If the Agent is still collecting files, but are not being processes, the count will rise. Don't worry though, stopping and restarting the VBR services will allow all the agent queries collected to be added when the services come back online.

pierresopel
Level 3

Thanks Rick, its true the collection will continue but my issues revolve around reports in VBR. So an issue I'm experiencing is we have say 100 reports running daily. Only about 5 can run concurrently. For some reason reports get stuck and my only choice is to stop VBR completely. I wish I could monitor how many reports are running and for how long to deteremine when a report has become "hung".

pierresopel
Level 3

pierresopel
Level 3
I'm also trying to understand the Connection Pool Status and Schedular Status outputs. I cant find any documentation explaining what the Busy Count field means in the Connection Pool Status.  When I restart VBR the total count is low and over time it grows. I dont know if this means there are 7 active threads running or would it be permenant connections? Anyone have an idea?

Connection pool Status

Available Count
 Busy Count  7
 Total Count  14

The schedular status appears to be black magic. The Task count varies in size, the Queued Count also varies (but I cant determine what is queued). The running Task Count always seems to be 5 and the thread count being 7 could possible be in relation to the Connection Pool Stauts "Busy Count".
Schedular Status

Scheduler Status

Count
 Task Count  136
 Queued Count  51
 Running Task Count  5
 Thread Count  7
 Last Exception  None
 Last Cause  No Exception

Does anyone have any insight into this? Like what these numbers could represent?

Rick_Brown
Level 4

100 reports per day sounds like a bunch. Each time a report runs, it queries the DB to collect the data, runnig 5 reports at a time is going to put a load on the DB. If you have several master servers you're monitoring, this will only makes performance worse. I'd suggest trying to consolidate some of your reports to reduce the number being calculated at any one time.
I hope this helps.