cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup is locking Vm's {Virtual Machin Disks consolidation is needed}

AliMohammad
Level 3

Hello,

We are facing problem on virtual machines, which are added to Netbackup. NBU is failing job with error 156 and virtual machin is showing error on vsphere client saying "virtual Machine consolidation is needed". I saw some people had same issue when they upgraded to 7.6.0.2 but we are still using 7.6.0.1  We have not made any changes recently on netbackup or vmware side.

Can someone please help me to figure out what is the issue here.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I've seen this happen when the connection from the master/media dropped while a snapshot operation was in progress. The VM guest had to be shutdown to perform the snapshot consolidation.

nmatlock
Level 1

We saw similar issues in our enviroment recently when vcenter was upgraded. We had over 90 clients failing repeatedly. Vm team had to apply patches to multiple esx hosts.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Please check this note. Its seems to be VMware issue which can be resolved by updating.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2040846

If you see that you are unable to perform disk consolidation and get the error as Netbackup has locked the file, you can go to that vmware backup host and kill the vm related process. Sometimes, because of hung processes in the backup hosts can also cause issues while consolidation happens.

Marianne
Level 6

@avinash59

There is no point in replying to a post from 2015.