cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup OPSCenter - Oracle clone

kenneth_hansen1
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi, I have a customer that have a problem with oracle clone feature in OPSCenter. Netbackup and OPSCenter version 7.6.0.1 Issue: Oracle clone using opscenter failes with "Lanch Clone failed". This is what I can see: Selecting Oracle DB using a time frame to search for time and date works ok. Opscenter listes out several backup sets. I can select from control file or backup piece. Problem1: Selecting one control file for some reason automatically selects several backup piece and several control files. Runing thru the pre check every thing is ok. But restore fails. In this senario I can see that aprox 1600 log files are to be restored. The fact selecting one control file auto selects several control files and backup piece is this by design or is it a bug? Selecting the control file gives me option to restore to different location Problem2: Selection only one backup piece is ok. But now I cannot do a redirect on the DB files, but I can on control file and log file. Any one seen this issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kenneth_hansen1
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Riaan, We believe we found the problem. Sorry for not getting back sooner. But oracle backup script created control file with same name in every backup. This line int he script we believe cased the issue: echo FORMAT 'cntrl_%s_%p_%t' It should have been: echo FORMAT 'cntrl_%%s_%%p_%%t' Meaning no time stamp was set/added on the control file name to make it unique. And I believe that fact that OPSCenter had several control files with the same name confused OPSCenter logic. It that makes sense. Customer have tried the clone wizard again at it look better. An they will do a live test next week. I'll update then :)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

kenneth_hansen1
Level 4
Partner Accredited
No one?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Lets check the logs

From the NetBackup master server:

nbars unified logs, OID 362

dars unified logs, OID 363

From the Symantec OpsCenter server:

opscenterserver unified logs, OID 148

opscentergui unified log, OID 147

kenneth_hansen1
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Riaan, Thanks for replying. Logs are attached. Update on the case also. Customer tried to do a clona using control file of 1 spesific DB that worked ok. next they tried do do the same using only backup piece. Did not work. The prod database they want to clone does not clone, and I suspect it might be how backup is setup to case the issue. but please have a look at the logs. If you can see anything it would be great to get any pointers.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Please explain more about how the backup is setup, and how its different from the one that works. For the clone you must be backing up the entire DB.

RiaanBadenhorst

PM me the client names, master name, media server name, database name etc.

kenneth_hansen1
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Riaan, We believe we found the problem. Sorry for not getting back sooner. But oracle backup script created control file with same name in every backup. This line int he script we believe cased the issue: echo FORMAT 'cntrl_%s_%p_%t' It should have been: echo FORMAT 'cntrl_%%s_%%p_%%t' Meaning no time stamp was set/added on the control file name to make it unique. And I believe that fact that OPSCenter had several control files with the same name confused OPSCenter logic. It that makes sense. Customer have tried the clone wizard again at it look better. An they will do a live test next week. I'll update then :)

RiaanBadenhorst

Ah well spotted. Good to hear it was resolved.

Please mark your last post as the solution.

kenneth_hansen1
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Changing the script solved issue. Thanks for helping out Riaan :)

RiaanBadenhorst

Pleasure.