cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Ops Center Analytics

cs3472
Level 4

Hi All,

I am new to Netbackup Ops Center Analytics Tool.

My management wants to get job status or job summary details starting from Jan 2013 till date. When I looked into the OCA tool, I am not able to get the information for the required date as the logs in the NBU are stored for 30 days.

Is there a way to get the required information in Tabular format which can be exported?

Also, I need help in knowing how to customize these kind of reports in the tool. I already went through the Admin guide. Even then I want to know if someone can brief on this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Chaz1986

9 REPLIES 9

cs3472
Level 4

Is there any update on my post?

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Are they looking for a list of all job's from January till the current date? That seems like a bit of information overload. If they just want a quick report to show the number of failures vs successes for that time period, try this:

In the reports section, under the report templates, choose the backup folder. Select the "Status & Success Rate" folder, and click the link to view the "Job Status" report. You can change the date range by selecting the "Edit Report" button in the top left hand portion of the report screen. I hope that is what your looking for. If not please let me know!

cs3472
Level 4

Thanks Miles,

I followed your steps and I was able to get the bpdbjobs list for 1 month.

1. Is there a way by which I can get the bpdbjobs output for last 6 months? 

2. What are the ways by which we can store the logs which are older than 6 months?

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of it?

Please let me know on this. Thanks for your time and support.

- rchandr083

RonCaplinger
Level 6
  1. In OCA, clieck on Settings -> Configuration -> Data Purge.  If the "Backup Job" is set for 30 days, increase that to the most you would expect to be able to access.  You will not be able to recover any data that has already expired.  If that field is already set for more than 30 days, it is possible that your report dates you are selecting are not correct.  The only other thing I can think of is you don't have the OCA license key installed and are actually only using the free OpsCenter, which is limited to 30 or 60 days.  FYI, I have my Backup Job field set for 730 days, as I have found a few things I need to look back 2 years. 
  2. I don't think you would want the NBU logs kept on the master for that long, but if you are referring to the logs in OCA, the second field on the above screen "Backup Logs" would let you specify that retention period.  Mine is set for 180 days.
  3. The disadvantages of keeping that data for more than the defaults is the increased size of the OCA database and the increase in the time it takes to create some reports.  OCA 7.5.0.6 is MUCH improved in report generation speed and responsiveness of the interface, I highly recommend upgrading to this version, particularly if you keep OCA data for more than 6 months.  You will need to schedule the OCA database backup daily, and that needs to be backed up using NetBackup.  And I would recommend a monthly reorg of the database.  All this is covered in the OCA manual.

cs3472
Level 4

Thanks Ron and Miles. That helps me a lot.

Ron : "You will need to schedule the OCA database backup daily, and that needs to be backed up using NetBackup.  And I would recommend a monthly reorg of the database"

We have Netbackup OCA tool 7.0.1 installed in Windows 2008 R2 server.

How to configure the OCA database to backup using Netbackup.

I found this TN from Symantec site

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129948

Do you have a step by step process for taking backup of OCA database?

- rchandr083

RonCaplinger
Level 6

The Technote you referenced is the correct one.  You will need to run the "dbbackup.bat" file as indicated in the TN every day to dump the OpsCenter database to disk.  Then your regular NetBackup job that backs up the OpsCenter database will back it up.

If you don't run dbbackup.bat, your database is constantly in use and will never get backed up.

cs3472
Level 4

Thanks Ron,

I have successfully implemented the OCA database backup.

But there are few clarifications in the o/p generated.

I have attached the screenshot of the logs captured after executing the command as instructed. I wanted to make sure if everything is good here. Particularly the size of the file in the dbbackup logs screenshot.Is it the showing the right one?

Because in the below TN, at last they have mentioned "The backup script creates vxpmdb.db, symcOpscache.db, and vxpmdb.log (if it exists) in the backup directory that you specified"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=HOWTO71345

Please check and let me know.

Thanks in advance.

- rchandr083

cs3472
Level 4

Any update on this?

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Yes, that looks correct.  The vxpmdb* files are the ones that will show the same date; the symcOpscache.db (and some other files in my directory) all show older dates. 

That should be all you need to do, so long as you have your OpsCenter server being backed up by NBU.