cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ops Center Available media report, tape count

Sarah_Davies
Level 2

Hi,

We use NOM to generate an available media report, which provides us with information of tapes currently in the tape library with master server name, volume pool name and quantity (formed from slot number count).  However I am having difficulty recreating this report in Ops Center Analytics.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sarah

9 REPLIES 9

chengfr
Level 3

Does the report template "Media Reports > Available Media Report" help you? You may also drill down on "Media Summary by Media Server" by selecting the media servers.

I am not using Analytics. If you have this licensed version, one of the feature of this version is to create customized report by SQL command.

Sarah_Davies
Level 2

No as it lists all media and not the total amount (count), I tried to edit it but doesn't seem to work as desired.  NOM works fine with it.

I need for example Manchester = Scratch 200  backup 100 etc... Amounts not tape ID's.

Do you have any sql examples? I am new to sql and not sure what to query or filter.

Cheers

Sarah

Dangerous_Dan
Level 5
Partner Certified

Ok I think I've found a way although I can't be 100% as my data collection is playing up at the moment but if you:

create a new custom report.

-> Subcategory: Backup Media

->Tabular report

Next Page

Time Frame:

Previous 10 hours (Mine is playing up so you might get better updates than me :) )

Filters:

-> Media: Backup Media Volume Pool Name = SCRATCH

Next page

Fields required:

Master Server

Tape Library Alias

Volume Pool Name

Operation:

Volume pool name = count

In theory what we are doing here is counting how many duplications of "SCRATCH" pool are there - as we have filtered only for scratch and the fact you have added Tape Library Alias you should get a report for each library on each master server. i.e:

Tape Library Alias  Volume Pool Name 
Production  LONTLB04 
Production  AMSTLB01  14 

fingers crossed

Sarah_Davies
Level 2

This didn't work, the values were completely out.

Thanks

Sarah

Dangerous_Dan
Level 5
Partner Certified

Sarah - flick the time frame filter to "No Time Basis"

I tested it on mine and it shows the correct data

:)

I have also created a report which lets you know how many tapes will expire in the next 24 hours for each library if you're interrested let me know

Sarah_Davies
Level 2

Hi, no joy.  Surely there should be an operation on slot or tape ID to count, so it counts the number or slots in the scratch pool?

Thanks

Sarah

RonCaplinger
Level 6

You just want a list of tapes in each volume pool and a count of tapes in those poos, correct?

I'm using OpsCenter Ananlytics 7.0.1, so assuming this was not a changed report from your version:

Under Report Templates -> Media Reports ->Tape Count, edit the report, click "Next", and change the drop-down to report on Volume Pool Name, then click on "Run Report".  Once the pie-chart shows up, the "Show Chart as Table" link appears. 

If this is what you are looking for, you can save this edited report, and email it on a schedule (which will include the graph and the table below it), or add it to your Dashboard.

Dangerous_Dan
Level 5
Partner Certified

Sarah,

I've just done some screen dumps for you to follow just in case you missed something (and my wording is crap :) )

I checked them against my live environment and they are identical. I have also recently upgraded to 7.1 - whether this will have any bearing on you results

You have to save some of these pictures to your desktop to see the right hand side of themsad

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Looks like this report is reporting on images, NOT tapes.  I'll open another case with Symantec on this one, too.  Darn.

UPDATE 3/3/2011: further inspection shows that the default settings on the report seem to work fine and report on the number of tapes, but changing the "Report on" field to "Volume Pool Name" instead of "Tape Type" reports some wild numbers drawn from somewhere in the database, but it's not the number of images, not the number of bytes, not a sum of the numeric values of the tape numbers, etc.  No idea how it calculates these values when you select "Volume Pool Name".