cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ops Center DB Backup

sudhakarkumar
Level 4

Is it needed to take Backup Ops Center DB backup. As of my knowledge we can runthe backup using the available script file DBBackup.bat. but it should be run from windows side or else we can make a schedule for this by windows scheduler and after we can tak norma ms-windows level backup of that folder. 

My question here is;

1.Is it mandatory to take Db Backup of Ops Center does it really help us during disaster.

2. does backup of this folder which contains backup doen through script is enough during  disaster.

3. if we want to take opscenter db backup everday by windows scheduler and from there with netbackup.  In this     case how the old backup data will be deleted from the folder on windows does a new backup will replaces the old db files. how we can acheive this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Sudhakarkumar,

1.  If you want to recover from a disaster, yes it is mandatory.  If you don't backup your database, all your historical data will be gone and you will effectively be starting from scratch.

2. There are plenty of documents available that detail what else is required to be backed up for a full DR recovery of OpsCenter.  This particular one discusses backing up the database, as well as other parts of the filesystem that are critical for a DR recovery:  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH129948.

3. When you configure an OpsCenter database backup, as part of the commands that are run by the scheduled task you tell it the folder where you would like to place the database backup files.  When the batch file runs, it overwrites what is in this folder each time.

In my environment, I have a scheduled task that runs at 16:30pm each day to backup the database to a specific folder.  At around 18:00pm my VMware backups run, and I take a complete backup of the OpsCenter VM.  This ensures I have a copy of the critical parts of the filesystem as listed in the link in point 2 above.  It also ensures I have a consistent copy of the database as well, which is created by dbbackup.bat.

For the parameters used in the "Actions" part of the scheduled task, I have the following:

Program/script:  "E:\Program Files\Symantec\OpsCenter\server\bin\dbbackup.bat"

Add arguments: (optional):  E:\DB_Backup -v

My OpsCenter DB is installed on E: drive, so the details above tell dbbackup.bat to take a backup of the OpsCenter DB, put it in E:\DB_Backup (which will overwrite any previous copy), and perform a verification once done (that's the -v flag).

The only other point to note is to schedule your dump of the DB well prior to backing up the OpsCenter server, so both are not running at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Steve

PS:  Don't forget to mark the solution(s) that help you solve your issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Sudhakarkumar,

1.  If you want to recover from a disaster, yes it is mandatory.  If you don't backup your database, all your historical data will be gone and you will effectively be starting from scratch.

2. There are plenty of documents available that detail what else is required to be backed up for a full DR recovery of OpsCenter.  This particular one discusses backing up the database, as well as other parts of the filesystem that are critical for a DR recovery:  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH129948.

3. When you configure an OpsCenter database backup, as part of the commands that are run by the scheduled task you tell it the folder where you would like to place the database backup files.  When the batch file runs, it overwrites what is in this folder each time.

In my environment, I have a scheduled task that runs at 16:30pm each day to backup the database to a specific folder.  At around 18:00pm my VMware backups run, and I take a complete backup of the OpsCenter VM.  This ensures I have a copy of the critical parts of the filesystem as listed in the link in point 2 above.  It also ensures I have a consistent copy of the database as well, which is created by dbbackup.bat.

For the parameters used in the "Actions" part of the scheduled task, I have the following:

Program/script:  "E:\Program Files\Symantec\OpsCenter\server\bin\dbbackup.bat"

Add arguments: (optional):  E:\DB_Backup -v

My OpsCenter DB is installed on E: drive, so the details above tell dbbackup.bat to take a backup of the OpsCenter DB, put it in E:\DB_Backup (which will overwrite any previous copy), and perform a verification once done (that's the -v flag).

The only other point to note is to schedule your dump of the DB well prior to backing up the OpsCenter server, so both are not running at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Steve

PS:  Don't forget to mark the solution(s) that help you solve your issue.

Thank you So much Team.

Systems_Team
   VIP   

No problems, glad to help.  Smiley Very Happy

Steve