cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpsCenter Custom Reports.

Willspe
Level 3

I have been reviewing the information related to custom reporting in OpsCenter and a little disappointed. Since we are in a big shop, the direction is to eliminate or minimize required support for custom code/reporting, why does OpsCenter not allow a more flexible and robust manipulation of data items.

I wonder why the stored procedure concept is not exposed and embraced more for client access.  I see a valuable procedure call Report_Success_Failure that can expose the data items to me in a way that eliminates the need to understand the intimacies of the fields/tables of the Schema.  This is fantastic!!  I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.

1) What is the limitation of the Custom SQL in the Custom Report Create functions?  Can I call the stored procedure, insert desired data into a table that can be operated and manipulated, then formatted directly by my SQL statements into an organized and calculated table?  Once in this form I can schedule for delivery within the current functionality of OpsCenter.

2) Since a stored procedures isolates the custom SQL from the intimate knowledge of the Schema, can other stored procedure can be utilized in this fashion?

The data now in OpsCenter is a bit obscure and the templates are not very customizable. Therefore I hope that someone can see the advantage of stored procedure use as the advantage of the expose data for us to consume in whatever direction required by management.

Regards,
Peter

2 REPLIES 2

Praveen_Choudha
Level 4

Hi

In OpsCenter 7.5 a new user DBOPERATOR is added. This user will have only read permission to OpsCenter specific tables, views, procedures and functions. So this user can only execute “Select” queries on the tables/views and use the functions and procedures for execution. This user can create his own tables, views, procedures and functions.

When you run any query on SQL editor , it is the DBOPERATOR permission which are used to execute.

Whatever procedures, functions (not specific to OpsCenter) created before 7.5 will be given full access to DBOPERATOR

Whatever tables, views (not specific to OpsCenter) created before 7.5 will be given full access(except delete) to DBOPRATOR.

Willspe
Level 3

Thank you for your reply.  However, this does not address my concern.  I need a flexible way to generate reports that isolates the report SQL from the underlying constant Schema change. I thought that if utilizing a stored procedure would be enough isolation.

Therefore, if I, a customer, utilizing stored procedure was a supported interface by Symantec.

Regards