cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpsCenter - NetBackup User Name and Password

Scott_Lewis_2
Level 4

In setting up OpsCenter with new master servers (Win2K8R2) with Advance Data Collection Properties and Enable License Deployment Data Collection, I can not get OpsCenter to accept the User Name and Password.  I can not find any documentation on how to set up a username and passord for accessing the Master server from OpsCenter.  I have the OpsCenter agent on the Master server, yet I stll get "User name/Password is not set for this Master Server"  Any suggestions on how to set this up?

Thanks for any help.

9 REPLIES 9

Ashish-Sharma
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

Try to

For administrator initial logon, the user name is admin and the password is password or any custom password that you chose during the installation

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO42625

How to reset default the admin account password to login to the OpsCenter Console

Article:TECH142583  |  Created: 2010-10-25  |  Updated: 2012-08-11  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142583

RonCaplinger
Level 6

The location you are looking for is under "Settings" -> "Configuration" -> "NetBackup", check the box next to the Master Server Name, and click on "Edit".  The username/password fields are at the bottom.

Scott_Lewis_2
Level 4

Ron

Thanks for the response - What I am looking for is "what username/password is required"?  I have tried the one that I use to login to OpsCenter, the OpsCenter Admin account and password, a local account on the NetBackup Master server, a domain account that has rights on the Master Server but none seem to work.  I do not understand what is meant when the documentation says to enter your "NetBackup User Name and Paswword.  What is a "NetBackup User Name" or how do you set one up? 

Also, I have installed the OpsCenter Agent on the Master server and the documentation says a User Name / Password is not required if you install the Agent on the Master server but that does not work either.

thanks

RonCaplinger
Level 6

It should be your network user ID/password you use when you log into the master server, or an administrative ID that can be used to log into it.  This ID needs to be able to execute the "nbdeployutil" command.  From page 574 of the NetBackup Admin Guide for OpsCenter:

"The traditional licensing report is generated in the form of an Excel sheet. Basically
OpsCenter invokes the nbdeployutil executable on the master server to collect
the required data. OpsCenter invokes the nbdeployutil executable (bundled with
OpsCenter) to analyze the collected data."

And although it used to be optional in 7.1*, it is required on 7.5*.  On page 576, it says you *do* need to enter a user name and password if OpsCenter is not running on the same server as the NBUmaster:

"You must enable traditional license deployment data collection for the master
server. In addition, you must enter the user name and password to access a
remote NetBackup master server (a master server is remote if it is not installed
on the OpsCenter Server)."

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Ron,

If you are only going to execute this report once a month, quarter, etc... 

May I suggest you run the nbdeployutil report from the master directly.

It will generate the same report as OpsCenter would, without the need to install / configure / and manage an agent for each master.

NBDEPOYUTIL ---  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO72905

If you have any questions, please let me know.

--Tom

Scott_Lewis_2
Level 4
Thanks - I have run it from the Master server, I was hoping to be able to run it from OpsCenter. I have opened a ticket with Support about a week ago and so far they have been unable to get it to work and they have not found any documetation of what username and password to use when setting up a Master server in OpsCenter with "Enable Traditional License Deployment Data Collection" checked. There must be someone that has information on how to get this work but so far I have been unable to find them.

tom_sprouse
Level 6

Scott,

The username / password is going to be root (for unix masters) or administrator (for Windows Masters) 

You could also use a domain admin account for Windows, however you need to specify the domain.

Example:   DOMAIN\admin_account

Then enter the correct password for the account specified.

--Tom

Scott_Lewis_2
Level 4

Tom,

Thanks - I have tried the one that I use to login to OpsCenter, the OpsCenter Admin account and password, a local account on the NetBackup Master server (Administrator), a domain account that has rights on the Master Server (domain\username) but none seem to work. It always comes back with

"The specified username or password is not valid." 

Even Tech Support has not been able to get it to work for them.

tom_sprouse
Level 6

Scott,

If you have not resolved this, shutdown OpsCenter, and then Shutdown Symantec Private Branch Exchange..

Restart, PBX, then the OpsCenter Services.

Test the login again.