cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpsCenter data import from 7.5.0.7 to 7.6.0.1

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi,

As part of a global infrastructure change at work a new 7.6.0.1 RHEL OpsCenter server has been created and wil be used as a central OC for the Backup team; however, I currently run a 7.5.0.7 Wintel OC and this contains years worth of data and custom reports, I know that moving the data between OS is not a problem but this is when running the OC at that same resvision, also I beieve that there was a change to the DB structure in 7.6.

Is there an easy way to integrate both databases so at least I dont have to rewrite all the reports again.

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deeps
Level 6

Spitman, I think you described the steps to manually upgrade a lower version of OC to higher version of OC but I guess Kevin asked to merge/integrate the existing OC database , one at 7.6.0.1 which he installed recently and the other is 7.5.0.6 , which is old OC data base haivng years of data. Sometime admin do install newer versionof OC for testing and keep it up for several days .Then they want to merger the new db with old db so that they dont miss the data collected by new opscenter.This is not possible. Kevin can clear what situation he is facing ?

DeepS

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Deeps
Level 6

There is no inbuild tool in Opscenter that could help you in this integrartion .Why not first upgrade 7.5.0.7 to 7.6.0.1 and then migrate to another box ? There will be fewer report in new 7.6.x to re create .

DeepS

spitman
Level 5

With a new OpsCenter server, yes you can do this. I just completed it, and the Symantec tech even walked through it with me on the phone to be sure there were no issues.

First, get the OpsCenter Admin Guide for 7.6 (I'll refer to it by page numbers for you):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5042

This process is actually described starting on p.218.

Start by backing up the database on your old 7.5.0.7 host (p.225). The dbbackup command will back up the databases while they are live; but if you are in a position where you can shut down the OpsCenter server processes and move the files, you can do that too (the support person said so) just make SURE everything is down first. Either way will work.

Copy these files into the location the database files belong in on your new RHEL server. p.155 shows the normal location of these files on a *nix server (I myself moved from Windows to Windows, so wasn't an issue for me).

Upgrade the database info using the dbUpgrade command (p.220). Here you will tell it the database's old version number and its new version number.

Once that's done, start OpsCenter services back up (p.221).

A couple things of note: Authentication may need to be worked on. All I had was local (within OpsCenter) user accounts, so this wasn't an issue for me. Remember the default install login (if it wasn't changed) is admin:password. Second, the smtp settings may not carry over either. It is now stored in the OpsCenter database, and it didn't use to be. I had to start my old server back up briefly to retrieve the info that had been used before there.

I learned all this because I started doing an upgrade and realized that the old OpsCenter server was 32-bit. It was running 7.1.0.3, so it didn't matter. At some point around 7.5 I think it started requiring 64-bit, so I had to have a new host set up for me. I migrated from Windows 2003 32-bit to Windows 2008 64-bit, from 7.1.0.3 to 7.6.0.2 (using the upgrade above to 7.6.0.1, which is a full version, then did the 7.6.0.2 upgrade patch after everything was stable.)

Hope this helps,

Susan

spitman
Level 5

I found a screenshot of running this command I had saved off. See attached.

Deeps
Level 6

Spitman, I think you described the steps to manually upgrade a lower version of OC to higher version of OC but I guess Kevin asked to merge/integrate the existing OC database , one at 7.6.0.1 which he installed recently and the other is 7.5.0.6 , which is old OC data base haivng years of data. Sometime admin do install newer versionof OC for testing and keep it up for several days .Then they want to merger the new db with old db so that they dont miss the data collected by new opscenter.This is not possible. Kevin can clear what situation he is facing ?

DeepS

spitman
Level 5

Apologies, I saw "new RHEL server" and thought it was a fresh install with no data.

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Apologies again for the delay in responding I am still recovering at home following surgery.

Deeps, you have hit the nail squarley on the head on what I wanted to do, this is all part of a global change with the backups, the new OC server has now been up for a couple of months and I have now manually created all the reports that I had on the older server, we have decided to bite the bullet with regards to the old data and to decommission the old 7.5.0.7 server next week as we are already running unsupported due to have the servers data collecting from both versions of the OpsCenter servers.

Many thanks for everyones assistance with this.

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference