cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpsCenter will not connect to Master Server after upgrading both to 7.5.0.3

raji14
Level 3

We recently upgraded 2 of our NBU servers to 7.5.0.3.  These are both Windows 2003 R2 64-bit servers. We had already upgraded the Opscenter to 7.5.0.3 prior. This OpsCenter server collects data from 4 Servers. Before the upgrade everything was fine. We've noticed in the past week though, the 2 servers we upgraded will not connect in OpsCenter. It is not collecting data or alerts or reports.

After reading through some forums about similar problems, I cleared the hosts cache. We use hosts file and not DNS.

The bptestbpcd command had this output: 

<16>bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD(cts-nbu-ops-01) failed: 25
cannot connect on socket

Not sure what happened, but we use hosts file and that didn't change. PBX is running. I've restarted the Opscenter server and services. I disabled and enabled data collection on OpsCenter. The same results happen on the other NBU server we upgraded to 7.5.0.3.

OpsCenter says "OpsCenter-10915:OpsCenter machine is not reachable from the specified master server." when trying to connect

Please help. We need this to work. If anyone can think of anything else to try, I would really appreciate the assistance.

10 REPLIES 10

RonCaplinger
Level 6

bptestbpcd should always be able to connect between the NBU master & OpsCenter server.  If that isn't working, the problem is not with OpsCenter itself.  You would need to troubleshoot it as a NetBackup problem, using the NBU Troubleshooting Guide, or the In-Depth Trouble Shooting Guide for a status 25.

Can you back up your OpsCenter server using those upgraded NBU servers?  With a status 25, I'm assuming not, but you didn't mention that. 

raji14
Level 3

Thanks Ron. I tried to create a backup policy for the OpsCenter but Netbackup master server would not connect to the Opscenter client. Then realized I never had an agent installed on the OpsCenter server. After installing the agent I was able to connec to it from the Master Server NBU Client Properties and do a backup successfully.

So I restarted Opscenter services and then disabled and renabled my Netbackup server in OpsCenter hoping this would do the trick. But no. Same result. Ops Center is in "Not Connected" State and gives the reason  "OpsCenter machine is not reachable from the specified master server."

I don't know if there is a check mark somewhere I'm missing or something else  thats probably so minor. This only happened when I upgraded. So what else needs to happen on either side to make OpsCenter collect data from one of the servers? This is very frustrating.

raji14
Level 3

Oh and now the bptestbpcd to the OpsCenter from the Master Server returns the Opscenter IP address and makes the connection. But still can't get OpsCenter to be enabled to collect data from the NBU. Very frustrating

RonCaplinger
Level 6

The new version of OpsCenter has a few extra things that have to be set up, it isn't just a simple upgrade of the software.  Check these things:

• Did you input the new 7.5 OpsCenter Analytics license key into OpsCenter?
  • In Settings -> Configuration -> Agent tab, put a check mark in the box next to your NBU master (not Integrated Agent) and click the "Edit Agent" button.  Ensure the OpsCenter Server Network Address is set to "Any available".  Then click Save.
  • Did you upgrade the OpsCenter Agent on your NetBackup master server?  If it was already installed for the prior version of NetBackup, you also need to upgrade that agent to the 7.5.0.3 version.

If none of this helps, I would recommend opening a support ticket with Symantec.  They will likely need you to enable some logs for them to troubleshoot.

Zenshai
Level 4

Do you have an entry for the OpsCenter server in the Master's server list? You might have missed this during the install, or the OpsCenter server was not available.

I think this command will do that for you (register the Master with Opscenter and the other way around): http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=HO...

raji14
Level 3

To Ron - I didn't think an agent was needed in 7.5 - in any case, when I go to the Agent Tab in OpsCenter configuration, I only have Integrated Agent. If I try and add one of the NBU servers, I get an error that OpsCenter is not reachable from the specified master server. I don't currently have an OpsCenter agent on the master server. It wasnt needed when the master server was at 7.1.0.1

And I do have a case open with Symantec. The tech there is trying his best to help but he's not an OpsCenter expert.

As for Zenshai - during the upgrade I did insert the OpsCenter server and assumed it was registered. But I tried it again and Registering OpsCenter with NB is successful but registering NB with OpsCenter failes to connect. I checked the firewall on the opscenter, made sure 1556 was open and we don't have any firewall turned on anyways. What bugs me is that nothing on our network side changed and this was connecting and collecting data just fine two weeks ago before the upgrade.

Now I have to figure out why its not registering. Is it a network issue or OpsCenter or Netbackup? I can't imagine its network since I can ping to it and do a tracert to the IP/OpsCenter.

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Raji14,

We having the same problem here. Also log case to support...

Do you have any updates/workaround if not solution on this issue?

thank you

shilpa_N
Level 2
Employee

Hi Raji14,

Please check if pbx is running on 1556 on your master.

Can you telnet to your master server from OpsCenter server to 1556 port?

Thanks,

Shilpa

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Just to update, we performed a bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache to clean up the master server cache and it works after we reconnect... Strange issue

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi 

Make sure that the master server is not behind a NAT . If that is the case , it's not supported even if it was working before . 

I have seen that in couple of instances.