cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting on restore (opscenter)

ldias
Level 4

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create a restore report on Opscenter that list, among many informations, the policy a client belongs.

For example I have one client ABC which is inside DEF policy. When I create report the column Policy Name is 'UNKNOWN' for all clients, regardless their policy.

Job ID

Server Name

Job Type

Job Status

Policy Name

Schedule Name

Start Time

Duration

Volume(KB)

Number of Files

Throughput (KB/sec)

Job ID

Server Name

Job Type

Job Status

Policy Name

Schedule Name

Start Time

Duration

Volume(KB)

Number of Files

Throughput (KB/sec)

10088  sn02001-bkp  Restore  UNKNOWN  UNKNOWN  Nov 28, 2012 7:18:43 PM  00:04:00  1,016,704  51  81,362 

Also when a click on Job details on Netbackup Java Administration Console, the field Policy Name is empty.

I was wondering why of this limitation ? Does anyone know ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think that the "policy name" relates to the policy used for the active job in question.

The files backed up exist as a result of a policy that ran but the restore job does not use a policy, it is just a user directed activity and so as such the restore job does not have a policy - so i would say that a restore job would not have an associated policy.

Hope that makes sense but I believe that this is the expected result and is by design

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Don't use Opscenter, but don't think NB can necessarily determine a Policy Name when dealing with restores.

If you could imagine a backup of several files within the same directory/folder but all backed up via a different policy (or even the same file backed up via multiple policies/schedules) - they could quite easily be restored at the same time with one job, but how would NB determine which Policy/Schedule to display?

From this perspective, it is an understandable limitation on the way NB (& hence OpsCenter) reports.

That's how I see it anyway!

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Agreed with Andy,

you will never see policy and schedule names for the restore jobs.and even its not nessorly to know that..end of the day we need the data restore for required client. .. does not bother from which policy it got backedup.. 

ldias
Level 4

Partially I agree with you.

But when you select client to restore, you choose the date of backup and the related policy. It doesn't matter if directory XYZ is being backed up among many policies.

In my point of view the one you have selected should written in policy name.

See screenshot below.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

this one is just  listing of the avaliable images,

what if your are triggering the resotre of 2 files...in a single restore job, and those 2 files are being backedup using the different policies.

if you choose the way with the policy name.. you need to trigger 2 restore jobs,  where as it can be accomplised with the single job.

if you feel that your idea is correct, you a submit an idea under Ideas.

ldias
Level 4

Just pointing out about @Nagalla comments.

...end of the day we need the data restore for required client... you're right.

But managers always like reports, knowing what is being restored. Policies with higher rates of restores and so on ...

I think that's why we have a dedicated tool for reporting. People make plans based on them.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I can totally understand that.

As you say you *can* specify which backup to do the restore from, but you can *also* select multiple backups - maybe it's because of the latter potential that NB does not report which policy/schedule it's restoring from i.e. it cannot report if restoring from multiple policies/schedules therefore the coding is not present to allow it to report if restoring from a single policy/schedule.

As I say, that's just my understanding of how I *think* it's (not) working. Maybe a Symantec TSE can pitch in & definitively confirm or deny this?

Maybe put an Idea forward such that a restore & therefore OpsCenter *does* report on the Policy if only restoring from a single image or reports "Multiple" or similar if more than one is being utilised?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think that the "policy name" relates to the policy used for the active job in question.

The files backed up exist as a result of a policy that ran but the restore job does not use a policy, it is just a user directed activity and so as such the restore job does not have a policy - so i would say that a restore job would not have an associated policy.

Hope that makes sense but I believe that this is the expected result and is by design

ldias
Level 4

All these comments have convinced me why policy name of restore is empty, particularly last comment.

At the end of the day, @Mark_Solutions said, it's a design decision.

The case of multiple image restores could bring information of selected images on policy name field. Maybe in the future they implement something that let us create these kind of reports.