cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Backup Report 6.5 - Creating Custom Reports

OSZ
Level 2
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a guide to how to generate tangible SQL queries to create better reporting of backup jobs? 

We have looked into the use of the Custom SQL query abiltity, but we have no idea how the database works on the inside.

What we would like to aim at is to create a modified version the backup success rate report, but customising it to exclude test policies and ad-hoc policies (Idealy through wildcards etc). 

Also is there any way to modify custom reports 'under the hood' so to say ?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers. 
6 REPLIES 6

OSZ
Level 2
 Also we are using the following: 

NBU 6.5.3.1 (clustered Solaris 9 SPARC)
VBR 6.5.0 (dedicated Solaris 9 SPARC)
At two physical locations (seperate netbackup sites)
About 1000 policies and expanding

Radovan_Turan
Not applicable
I have already asked official support to provide a SQL queries for the reports but it seems that it's not available for the customers.
With some high logging level you can see some SQL queries for the "custom reports" [that are very poor - from my poit of view] in the log files. And when I copy/pasted such query to reporter it didn't work. I'm not sure whether the query was cut to some maximum line lenght or some other issue was over there.
Anyway I wasn't able to get queries officialy.

--
Rado

payners
Level 4
You can start by going over the database schema. This will show you how all of the tables etc are related. As for the sql queries showing up in the web log.. you CAN run those reports but you will need to insert the paremeters into any entries with a ?. The parameters they used would be in a line entry right before the actual SQL code. What exactly are you looking for in these reports?

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner
hi,

Have no experiance on reporter but see this doc may be u can get help and get some idea...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/320685.htm

Zenshai
Level 4
Can you post an example of a query you took from the logs that didnt work?

It probably just needs a little editing before it runs through the custom report box.

thesanman
Level 6
What I wish you had the option of was a "Show SQL" tickbox under "export to file".  It would simply append the SQL used to generate the report in the file.