cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Builder: Are you kidding me?!

RollTheBones
Level 4

This is ridiculous.

Whenever I add an object to a view, I have to expand the view.  Which takes forever with 1000+ objects.  Then after the object is added, the view collapses again.

When I have to add several servers at a time this is about as much fun as a root canal.

Somebody *please* tell me there is a better way to do this?  Command line, batch processing, anything but this...

*ARG*!!!

2 REPLIES 2

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
Few other ways to get servers into a View, although if you're only doing one or two you're still probably better off doing it the way you've been going. 1) Import an XML,CSV, or TSV file containing the View changes you want to make. Note that this will overwrite any existing View by that name. CSV syntax : Viewname, [[sub-view1],[sub-view2],...] hostname Example CSV : HR_Servers,myhrserver1.company.org HR_Servers,myhrserver2.company.org HR_Servers,myhrserver3.company.org HR_Servers,Critical_Servers,mycritserver.company.org 2) Talk with support or Engineering about getting a stored query called "sp_import_view" added to your DB that will help with doing imports. Doing it this way requires some prep work and is multi-step, but is still faster if you're building views with hundreds of servers. 3) If what you're really looking for is a view that contains all the clients on a particular Master there's a much easier way to get it - view automation. a) create parent folder, i.e. "Masters_NetBackup" b) create sub-folder, i.e. "NY_Master" c) add only the Master to the sub-folder. d) right-click on your parent folder and select 'View Automation' and then 'List Tasks' e) Hit 'create' to add a new task f) name the task g) Select the schedule to run on. Create a new one if needed. h) Hit OK. i) Hit close. Now on whatever schedule you selected, VBR will go through and add all of the client objects for that Master to the sub-folder. Also, keep in mind nothing in View Builder can have the same name as anything else - all folders are technically objects as well. So you can't have a parent folder named the same thing as the object it contains. Hope this helps.

RollTheBones
Level 4
Thanks, I don't think any of that will work.  We already have the Masters with all of the servers but that doesnt help when you have to choose Geography>America>Usa>City and wait for the whole thing to refresh.  The way we add servers there is really no way to wait until there are a bunch for the same location and do them all at once; if fact that wouldnt help anyway, since I have to "Search Objects" to find the server in question, and that collapses the Geography view.  So even if it happens to be in the exact same location as the previous one, I still have to open up Geography again and wait for it all to load again...

It just amazes me that every step you take in view builder causes the entire database to have to be retrieved.