cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to defrag Opscenter?

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

hi,

we have a Opscenter7.1.0.1 running on Windows 2008 standard R2 with 2 processors/8G.

it's a VM and houses the OpsCenter only.

Recently we received CPU high unilization alerts from this server........and we narrow down the issue to the NetBackup OpsCenter services, when stopped the CPU load goes down to a low level. ......

and besides I found the following warning in "D:\Program Files\Symantec\OpsCenter\server\db\log\server.log"

04/17 14:32:06. Performance warning: Database file "D:\Program Files\Symantec\OpsCenter\Server\DB\Data\vxpmdb.db" consists of 1248 disk fragments
04/17 14:32:07. Performance warning: Database file "D:\Program Files\Symantec\OpsCenter\Server\DB\Data\symcOpscache.db" consists of 292 disk fragments....

it seems we need to defrag the Opscenter databases so as to increase data access and retrieval speed...I am not sure..but I wanted to try it since our OpsCenter has been running for about 10 months and manages 7 masters...the database must be very large....

my question is that :

1)how to defrag the database ? is that mean we need to purge some obsolete data?

2)I ran the "dbdefrag" today but I didn't see any change via the server.log ..so I ran it 3 times.......and after I ran this command what else do I need to do ?

after defragmentation, how long is the data kept in Opscenter databases?

D:\Program Files\Symantec\OpsCenter\server\bin>dbdefrag
Stopping the OpsCenter Web Console Service...
Stopping the OpsCenter Server...
Stopping the OpsCenter Database...
Terminate batch job (Y/N)? Y

Stopping the OpsCenter Database...
Error in Export of vxpmdb
Starting the OpsCenter Database...
Starting the OpsCenter Server...
Starting OpsCenter Web Console Service...

Stopping the OpsCenter Database......

sorry about so many questions...I am lost with this defragmentation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It does the data purge each day at the time shown in the bottom box on the data purge screen - i believe this defaults to 00:00 (midnight) so once that time has passed the data will be nicely purged and you can run your defag.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

All of your commands look fine - the amount of data kept in OpsCenter is controlled in the Settings - Configuration - Data Purge

If you want to change any of these then do so, wait until after the "time of purge" and then defrag the database to tidy things up.

Also be careful when you finally upgrade as there is an issue in 7.1.0.3 where is starts to use only one processor - this is what i thought may be your issue but you say you are on 7.1.0.1 (maybe worth a check anyway - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178219)

On a standard install the reports work for 60 days, on analytics for as log as you like - however the data is kept pretty much forever depending on what you pruning settings are

Hope this helps

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

hi, Mark thanks for your reply

our opscenter version is indeed 7.1.0.1 (Build 20110612)..

So let me make it clear:

I need to do the "Data Purge" via OpsCenter GUI first and then run the "dbdefrag" to tidfy things up..................right?smiley

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

and by the way, it prompted that "Data Purge Configuration updated successfully"...

but when will the OpsCenter do the Data Purge? does it have a default schedule for this?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

It does the data purge each day at the time shown in the bottom box on the data purge screen - i believe this defaults to 00:00 (midnight) so once that time has passed the data will be nicely purged and you can run your defag.

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

thanks mark

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Data Purge will process (by default) at 12:00am each day.

However, it will also kick off when you restart OpsCenter Database, if the purge is due to run.

You can check the purge-status.log to determine when and how much information is removed from the database.

./installpath/OpsCenter/Server/log/purge-status.log