cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Job Protected Size" vs. "Job Size" in OpsCenter reports

gaapeio
Level 4

I have several OpsCenter reports, and I see a sigificant discrepancy between the "Job Protected Size" and "Job Size" columns.

What is the difference between "Job Protected Size" and "Job Size" in OpsCenter ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Simply put, protected job size is the size of the data on the client (also what you’ll see in the Netbackup console in the Activity monitor). In OpsCenter database this is called preSisSize i.e pre sinlge instancing or pre deduplication.

The job size is what is actually stored in the msdp pool based on deduplication. In the Opscenter database this is called KByteswritten i.e what is really stored (benefit of deduplication). You’ll see this figure in the job details as the one that us mentioned as “sent to storage server” or “bytes sent”

Please note this only applies to MSDP storage. For all tape and OST devices the two figures will be equal.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SiobhanEllis
Level 3
Employee

Job Size

The amount in KB that a backup job transferred from client to media server for backing up

Backup job Protected Size

200GB

The size in byes of a PureDisk backup job before deduplication.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/27537447-133302844-0/v32286875-133302844

Siobhan Ellis
Principal Product Manager
Service Provider Product Strategy, NSS & NetBackup Reporting

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Simply put, protected job size is the size of the data on the client (also what you’ll see in the Netbackup console in the Activity monitor). In OpsCenter database this is called preSisSize i.e pre sinlge instancing or pre deduplication.

The job size is what is actually stored in the msdp pool based on deduplication. In the Opscenter database this is called KByteswritten i.e what is really stored (benefit of deduplication). You’ll see this figure in the job details as the one that us mentioned as “sent to storage server” or “bytes sent”

Please note this only applies to MSDP storage. For all tape and OST devices the two figures will be equal.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for this explanation.