cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

report listing data classification name only shows backup jobs with status code = or < 1

e0001756
Level 2

We have defined all or 6.5.1 backup policies with the PLAT/GOLD/SILV/BRON data classifications to identify priority and now would like to report on different categories separately.  A report showing data classifications only list jobs with status code = to or < 1 even though there could be many other jobs with status codes > 1.   I am wondering how come I can not report the failed jobs and show what their data classifications might had been had the backup image been created.  Also I am wondering what impact not being able to report the > 1 status codes has on a report where I am trying to report overall success rate for lets say PLATINUM category.   Any thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4

TonyDavids
Level 4
Employee Accredited

What report are you running?  What fields are included on the report?  Are you doing any filtering on the report?

Sorry for so many question and no answer.

Tony

e0001756
Level 2

When reporting backup policies that ran for last 24 hours ... and including std fields like policy, start, end, master server, status, status code and data classification name ..   you will see that all the status codes are either 0 or 1 .... however if you remove data classification name you will see jobs that also failed with status codes > 0  ...    what this says that either VBR data classification is not recognized for policies that failed (having no valid backup image) or that there is an issue in the code perhaps ....

TonyDavids
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Ah.  Sorry.  It all makes sense now to me.  I apologize since I didn't realize we were capturing the Data Classification.  It is an attribute of the Image (catalog) data. 

For your report, we join the Job table (has a funnier name than that) with the Image table (again funny name) when you choose the Data Classification column since it is an attribute of the Image.  If you are familiar with SQL, the report is doing a standard join.  A standard join will only keep records where the union (standard join) is success.  The Image table will not have images for failed jobs thus only showing you success and partial success (exit code 1) jobs. 

The report would need to do an outer join to retain the failed jobs records that don't have an image.  This outer join would still not meet your needs since you would not know the Data Classification for those failed jobs.

VBR 6.6 (currently scheduled for April 2009) will be gathering comprehensive NBU Policy information.  We are verifying that Data Classification is included in that comprehensive collection.  This would then provide for you to join to the Policy table for your report so that the failed jobs would appear and have a data classification.

You could write your own Custom SQL (Reports -> Custom -> Custom Queries -> Run Query) to do the report.  As a basis, you can find the SQL from your Custom Report in the VBRinstallDir\vbr-web0.0.log.  You can then modify the join to be an outer join. Question marks in the query are where the Report Parameters go from the link about the query.

Tony

e0001756
Level 2

You have confirmed what I felt was going on.  Thanks for that.  I am familiar with SQL effort - an outer join would not give me the results showing all jobs incl stat code > 1 with column indicating data classification.  Can do simliar with out as much effort if I remove column "data classification name".  Anxious to wait for 6.6.   Best regards.   Leo