cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update to 7.5 takes HOW LONG?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Started upgrade from 7.1.0.3 to 7.5 over 90 minutes ago, says "...may take some time based on database size"

Log file says "ALTER TABLE domain_Image ..."

Is this normal for 300Mb database?  Should I kill it and start again?

11 REPLIES 11

Dave_High
Level 4
Employee

If you havent killed it, let it run. A 300MB DB could take a while. We completely changed the schema from 7.1.x to 7.5 so the process is converting the schema to the new one and a new DB update. Killing it would reset everything and take even longer.

Thanks,

dave

Will_Restore
Level 6

After 3 hours did the Ctrl-C sad

Absolutely no progress indicated past "ALTER TABLE domain_Image ..." in the progress log.

Kicked off the script again and it says 7.5 is already installed!  So went ahead and ran the update for 7.5.0.6 and it finished in a few minutes.  I figured worst case we would have to remove OpsCenter completely and install from scratch.  Logged in and all appears to be well.

Will_Restore
Level 6

2nd environment doing exactly the same.  I'll let it run for a while longer though it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Shaf
Level 6

Wr,

we had a same issue in our environment,

after waiting hours and hours, one of my collegues suggested to press "enter" in the upgrade window and it got successfull,

try it, it wont harm anything...

Will_Restore
Level 6

Tried Enter several times, no help.  Let this second one run overnight & it's still at the same spot.

Unfortunately this one does not work after the upgrade :(

"Please ensure the server is running."

Will_Restore
Level 6

OK, had to follow this technote (substituting proper version numbers) to get it running again

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH140213

Dave_High
Level 4
Employee

Interesting that the technote helped. I dont understand that because it was for a different version.

I was going to recommend a support case. In some cases a DB can get corruption and it makes upgrades a problem until you get to 7.5. Future upgrades should be okay.

So you are saying that everything is working now?

Thanks,

dave

Will_Restore
Level 6

First system OK (did not need the manual update)

Second system running fine after doing the manual update per the technote (changed command line paramaters from 7.0  7.01  to  7.1.0.3  7.5)

Coworker wants to do manual update on the first system but I figure leave well enough alone.

We have a few more environments to update so we'll see how it goes. 

Will_Restore
Level 6

The third Ops server update failed outright, totally trashed, claimed OpsCenter was not installed after saving the db files (?!), so we started from scratch.  No big deal since there was not a lot of history there but it is bothersome! 

Moving on to a fourth site, hung much like the first two, so we killed the process and ran the manual dpupgrade which completed just fine.  Seems to me the upgrade script makes some assumptions that aren't always true.  Sorry, wish I had more evidence but we are just trying to push ahead and get all these sites done already! 

Dave_High
Level 4
Employee

You guys definitely have something odd in your environment. While I can understand one system having issues.... all of them? Do you have a SQL DBA? I am wondering if someone has been accessing reporting using custom SQL and has done something to the database. When we upgrade we need a specific structure to the DB and the only time I have seen upgrades fail is when I have gone in using ODBC and mucked about with the database and dropped a table accidentally. Didnt even know it till I had to upgrade. So not sure what is going on, but to have every single system fail on upgrade cant be a coincidence. We have had thousands of customers upgrade without an issue.

dave

Will_Restore
Level 6

Some troubles must exist out in the wild since that technote explains how to fix it.

Don't believe our SQL folks even know OpsCenter DB exists; no custom reports.

We now have one upgrade that went flawlessly.  That was one which I originally installed.  smiley

Another plus, we have started NetBackup Master Server updates and thankfully no glitches there.