As a backup administrator, you may want to leverage Amazon Snowball and Amazon Snowball Edge devices as part of your cloud data protection story—NetBackup 8.2 offers a compelling solution. Please follow along as I provide an overview to implement the solution and better understand the benefits of each offering.
Benefits to backup administrators:
• Migrate archived backup images from tape to AWS using an offline mechanism;
• Send the first full backups (initial seeding) to cloud using the AWS Snowball device, and pursue subsequent incremental or optimized full backups directly to AWS Cloud;
• Use the solution with both NetBackup Cloud Storage and NetBackup CloudCatalyst;
• With this solution, I can achieve my baseline backup copies more quickly, without imposing an outage window to my recoverability;
• avoid excessive bandwidth consumption during my initial backup which would cost more;
• have the capability to restore my archived data to virtual instances in EC2, and;
• when it comes to tape migration, I can avoid cost that is associated with off-site tape storage, and leverage the deduplication savings of online storage.
Implementing the solution:
NetBackup readily enables users to configure the NetBackup Amazon Cloud Storage server to transfer backup images to the Amazon Snowball or Amazon Snowball Edge device and subsequent backups (and restores) to and from, AWS Cloud.
Depending on the device I want to back up the data to, I can follow the appropriate method. Details below.
Amazon Snowball and Amazon Snowball Edge (Recommended) with NetBackup CloudCatalyst
To use NetBackup CloudCatalyst Appliance, see Configuring NetBackup for Amazon Snowball and Amazon Snowball Edge for NetBackup CloudCatalyst Appli....
To use the NetBackup CloudCatalyst Media server, see:
- Configuring NetBackup for Amazon Snowball Edge with S3 API interface. (Recommended)
Note: File interface methods are not supported with NetBackup CloudCatalyst.
Amazon Snowball Edge with NetBackup
Using the file interface
Using the Amazon S3 interface (Recommended)
Amazon Snowball with NetBackup
Using the Amazon Snowball client (Recommended)
Using the Amazon S3 interface
I hope you found this information useful. This is just one among a broad collection of impressive features in the NetBackup 8.2 release.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.