cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with trial version and Serial number

jtorral
Not applicable
I have just downloaded thr trial version of replication exec. according to the documentation, leaving a blank serial number will kick of the trial version.

Well, I have definded my servers, created a job and it does not work.

The problem is that nobody at symantec can help. with this or even providing a trial serial nuber.

Any clues ????

This is in the log file

*** Server Log - 11:31 AM Pacific Standard Time on 2/15/2010 ***

Name:        PLATINUM
State:        Offline
IP Address:    192.168.1.37
NT Domain:    OADOMAIN
OS Version:    Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 2
VRE Version:    3.13.30a

--- Log Items ---
11:04 AM on 2/15/2010 - The Replication Exec license is invalid. Please update the server with a new serial number.
11:03 AM on 2/15/2010 - The Replication Exec license is invalid. Please update the server with a new serial number.
11:03 AM on 2/15/2010 - Replication Exec service version '3.1' has started and is running from 'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Replication Exec\Services\rxservice.exe'.
11:01 AM on 2/15/2010 - The Replication Exec license is invalid. Please update the server with a new serial number.
11:00 AM on 2/15/2010 - The Replication Exec license is invalid. Please update the server with a new serial number.
11:00 AM on 2/15/2010 - Replication Exec service version '3.1' has started and is running from 'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Replication Exec\Services\rxservice.exe'.
10:52 AM on 2/15/2010 - The Replication Exec license is invalid. Please update the server with a new serial number.
10:51 AM on 2/15/2010 - The Replication Exec license is invalid. Please update the server with a new serial number.
10:51 AM on 2/15/2010 - Replication Exec service version '3.1' has started and is running from 'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Replication Exec\Services\rxservice.exe'.

1 REPLY 1

Paul_Jeal
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi,

As you state, Replication Exec (VRE) normally configures a 60day Demo license key at installation time, if no other license is entered. This does not appear to be happening in your situation, as you are getting the "Replication Exec license is Invalid" error. If you open the RMS console and go to the Servers tab, the Properties of the local server should allow you to see if there is a Demo key added. I suspect there me no license shown there.

I am currently investigating this here and will get back to you with any further news.

In the meantime, could I ask why you are reviewing Replication Exec, as this is quite an old product and has had no updates to this released in the last 3 years? The functionality has now been moved to the newer Continuous Protection Server (CPS) that is part of the Backup Exec suite of products and has the capability to do more than VRE can.