cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replication Exec service initialization failed. : Unable to resolve a name to an IP address.

wmichel23
Level 2
I have VERITAS Replication Exec 3.1 SP1 with Hotfix 7.  I recently rebuilt my Replication Exec server from scratch  to new hardware and changed the Replication Neighboorhood. 
I am having problems reinstalling the Replication Exec Agent on my agent computers now.  After I uninstall completely and reboot, am I able to reinstall the agent but the "Replicatin Service Agent" service does not start and the agent computer does not appear in the Replication Exec Console.  If I try to restart the service manually i get this event in the Application Log:

Event Type:        Error

Event Source:    Replication Exec RSA

Event Category:                None

Event ID:              1030

Date:                     2/6/2008

Time:                    1:49:43 AM

User:                     N/A

Computer:         

Description:

Replication Exec service initialization failed. : Initialization failed. : Internal error:  Unable to resolve a name to an IP address.

I can ping the RMS server by name or IP from the agent computer so I am confused by that error. 
If i use the Replication Exec Service Manager I am able to Restart all Services but again, the computer does not appear in the Replication Exec Console.  When reinstalling the agent, I have tried changing the RMS server name to the IP Address instead of the name but to no avail.  I have run out of options.  Can anyone help?

Note: This problem only seems to happen on machines that were previously part of another Replication Neighboorhood. If so, the reinstall often causes this issue.  I have no issues on machines that have never had Replication Exec agent installed before.
6 REPLIES 6

Tim_Sutton
Level 3

I've run into the same issue with a system that was "rough cloned" from another and have yet to find a solution.

My next steps are to remove every trace of the application using something like Revo Uninstaller, reboot, reinstall and try it all over again.

wmichel23
Level 2

Please post any additional info if you are able to resolve this.  Thanks.

Tim_Sutton
Level 3

well that was a complete bust. :smileyhappy:

The uninstall seemed to go well until the clear up and then it list 45,000+ registry entries that had been left behind. Which upon reviewing a sample blatantly was not right.

Unfortunately it's back to the drawing board with this one. We may sysprep the machine or even rebuild it this weekend but unfortunately it is a production machine now so working on it is a bit tricky.

Crabcam
Level 1

ok.. I had this issue today after cloneing a serverin esx. After much painfull kicking of things i finally worked out what was going on!!

The initial server and the new one have the same MachineID. This is defined in a key in the registry that is not removed during uninstall or reinstall.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{blah blah blah}\MachineID\

This MachineID in the string is refered to in the RMS database and will only allow one instance connected at any time.

To fix ...

Find the MachineID of the original machine in the database by using the srtool provided with app.

run srtool

type:-  list all servers

write down the id of the machine you cloned

or look in the C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Replication Exec\Logs\efc.log

You should see a entry like

"Machine name is MYVRE01 (05020104-e522e6f0-93f4-d811-b2f6-505054503030).
Platform is Windows NT 5.2 "

uninstall VRE from the new cloned machine

After restart go into regedit and search fot the string (as in above  "05020104-e522e6f0-93f4-d811-b2f6-505054503030")

delete the key and then repush the client.

This worked for me and hope it sorts out your issues :)

wmichel23
Level 2

Crabcam,

Thanks for this.  After following your instructions, i was now able to see the machine in the Replication Exec Console now but the machine is showing Offline.  All 3 services are started on the this machine and restarting them did not resolve it.  Did you run into this?

mfabres
Not applicable
Hi to all.  a few weeks ago i experineced the same issue.

I follow the instructions above and reach the same status mentioned by wmichel23.

Finally I fix the problem restarting all services associated to Veritas Replication, this services are: network layer, Replication DBMS, management server and Agent.  After restart the console shows the server Online.

I hope this help to resolv the issue