cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Storage Replicator

Lenny_Westberry
Level 3
Hey, does anybody know if Symantec still supports VSR 3.0? Or does anybody here know how I can set it up to only replicate changed data.

I have an ERP server here on site. I have a Disaster Recovery server offsite. VSR does replicate the data and I have done some sucessful tests, but I noticed that the data can be a couple of hours to a whole day behind. VSR should replicate changes asap. Or does anyone have a preferance or something newer and more robust?
2 REPLIES 2

MKnoll
Level 3
VSR need time to do it's journaling, it also will have issues with files that change as it's replicating.  Plus there's the question of the amount of the delta's and the bandwidth of the pipe you are sending the data across.  VSR does a very very good job for the money.

But if you need more performance there are lots of harware solutions that are much faster.  They usually involve a direct attached harddrive on the client side which caches your data as it is written and then uses iscsi to replicate the data to another site.  I know EMC, Brocade and Falconstore all offer solutions but they can get quite expensive.

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
Lenny- if your're still looking, check out Vertias Netbackup Puredisk Remote Office Edition (needs a longer name- let's add "by Symantec"Smiley Tongue)

We are beginning to switch over, and so far I'm pretty pleased.  I ran a job from each system on the same server last night- took 1 hour 44 min on RE, 1 min 28 sec on Puredisk.  It has better reporting IMHO, and de-dupes your data at the block level.  I'm seeing between 20% and 60 % reductions in data right out of the gate.

Licensing is by the TB, so you might find it price-competitive if you have lots of small sites.

No one at VeriSymantec is saying this that I know of, but I personally believe that RE is on the way out.  I don't see much movement in terms of features or enhancements- just patches for the last 18 months.