Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Replication with VVR

ynok
Level 2

Dear Sirs/ Madame

We have Veritas volume replicator (VVR)  version 5.0 software 

We have installed the softare sucessfully and on running the software it replicates and then stops until the replication is stopped and started again. In other words, it works manually and not Automatic.

We sent a similar request on 04th December with no response so far

Can you please assist

Alex MOshi Tansoft Systems Ltd

5 REPLIES 5

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified
 When you say it stops, what are you seeing? If replication is running and the SRL (Storage Replicator Log) fills up you usually see it go into DCM (Data Change Map) mode. In this case you are correct, you'd need to manually start it again.

This is because starting it again puts your secondary site into an inconsistent state, which may involve databases and certain applications not being able to recover.

This would be a sign of badly chosed SRL size, or insufficient bandwidth compared to your data changes. The problem isn't that VVR requires manual work, it's that the environment isn't sized appropriately.

In the Symantec Education VVR training course we talk about these issues and more. Otherwise please look at a planning or installation guide, and you might want to lookup the "VRAdvisor" tool which helps you plan these things (SRL, bandwidth, downtime, etc.)

Rishi_Bhaskar
Level 3
I am facing the same issue please give me a soution as soon as possible replication is not being done automatically but manually .

TomerG
Level 6
 I have a bunch of questions to the first post, and you claim the same issue, but haven't tried answering those questions.

Rishi_Bhaskar
Level 3
Hey,

I have realised that thing about replication that the data is inaccessible when replication is active . I read the part on mirroring and snap . The product is just getting more interesting as i begin to explore it. I wanted to ask that while replication is going on and i want to access the data whats goint to help me cause i am confused between snap and mirroring .

TomerG
Level 6
Hi Rishi,

See description here (this is on Windows, but same thing): http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/replication-file-system-become-raw-0 

I might recommend a training course. The VVR coruse is 3 days, and covers all the details of how this works, and how snapshots work, in a VVR environment.

If you want to access the Secondary site, yes, you'd need to make a snapshot to do so. This would mean that you are not jeapordizing the replication, which is a very good thing. It is also known as a "fire drill" in the sense that you are testing that the Secondary data is actually good and makes sense, and in the event of a Primary failure, you'd  be able to actually use it.