cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating VVR to different Linux platform

Tom_Yu
Not applicable
Hi Folks,

My company is switching Linux vendor and I need to help migrating some VVR setup from SuSE Linux Server 9 to RedHat Enterprise Linux 5, to make things even more complicated, we would want to upgrade the SF from 4.1 to 5 altogether. I am looking for the safest way to handle this, I care the most is the data and a way to reliably fall back if something wrong happen. I am thinking to make the RedHat server a secondary VVR node first and then promote it to primary. Not sure this is workable and is the best way, any input or suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,

Tom
2 REPLIES 2

M__Braun
Level 5
Employee
I am not a Storage Foundation expert, but why do you bother dealing with VVR.

Couldn't you just import the VxVM disk group(s) on the new RHEL system?

> I am looking for the safest way to handle this, I care the most is the data and a way to reliably fall back if something wrong happen.

Disk group version and file system disk layout upgrades are a manual operation.

Regards

Manuel

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Hello Tom..

In case you want to use VVR for failsafe, I would suspect some issues here....

VVR in 4.1 was not cds compliant so I suspect you would have issues in cross platform replications i.e SuSE to RHEL.... though I have never tried this..

VVR in 5.0 was cds compliant & cross platform replication should be allowed as long as cds is used.

So what I can think first is, you will need to be up with VVR 5.0 to establish replication betweek SuSE to RHEL.

Hope this adds.

Gaurav