Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MySql Replication with VVR

savas_irez
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

A potential customer wishes to know if Mysql database replication is possible with Veritas Volume Replicator. The data is not too big (less than 50GB), but it's very critical.

As I'm not sure about how mysql can be kept consistent during an async (or sync) replication, is it possible?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Savas_irez,

VVR replicates at the volume level and maintains write order fidelity.  This is needed for any database application to maintain consistency.  VVR has been used for Oracle, SQL and MySQL with many customers without issues.

The only issue that I've come across when replicating databases is that the drive containing the database files and the drive containing the log files need to be in the same Replication Data Set (RDS.)  When they are not in the same RDS they can be out of sync with each other during a takeover operation when replication is behind.  This can cause the database to fail to start after a takeover.

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Savas_irez,

VVR replicates at the volume level and maintains write order fidelity.  This is needed for any database application to maintain consistency.  VVR has been used for Oracle, SQL and MySQL with many customers without issues.

The only issue that I've come across when replicating databases is that the drive containing the database files and the drive containing the log files need to be in the same Replication Data Set (RDS.)  When they are not in the same RDS they can be out of sync with each other during a takeover operation when replication is behind.  This can cause the database to fail to start after a takeover.

Thank you,

Wally

savas_irez
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I think that should be enough for me, thank you very much :)