Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help in Changing RLink in VVR with GCO running in Solaris

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

Below is the current set-up (2 Sites):

- License SF HA with GCO (installed in Solaris Environment)

- Site A (Primary Site) compose of 2 nodes local Cluster (Veritas Cluster Server w/ GCO) that can fail-over to Site B (Secondary Site with One Server)

- Site B compose of 1 server

Currently, replication between sites was too slow because of small bandwidth (shared between application and replication)

To answer the slow replication between site, end-user created a new connection between two sites and planned to transfer the RLink from the old connection to the new connection.

My question is:

- Can someone help me or provide me step-by-step instructions on performing the process using CLI? I am trying to browse Symantec Support website but I was unable to find any documentation (using command line) to address the problem.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes - if you run "vradmin changeip", you can change replication from using ip/hostnames on 1st LAN to the  ip/hostnames on the 2nd LAN (you will need to make this active and add IPs to 2nd LAN first).

If you do not have a 2nd LAN on DR site, then you can omit "newsec" attribute, but you will need to make sure your network routes put the traffic over the correct interface.

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This is very straight forward, just run the following from the primary node:

vradmin [-g diskgroup] changeip local_rvgname newpri=<new_pri_ip | hostname> newsec=<new_sec_ip | hostname> 

You should make sure your network routes are set correctly, the easiest way is to create replication network on a different subnet, but if it is on the same subnet as application network, then you will need to setup static routes to make sure replication traffic goes over the right network.

The vradmin command wil only work if the new and old IPs are in place - if the old IPs are not there, then you need to put these back or otherwise use vxedit commands on rlinks on both sites (if you need to do this let me know and I'll give you commands)

Mike

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

@MikeBounds

I am new to to this environment, yes please can you give me the commands or better yet step by step instructions.

By The Way, with your suggestion, thus the local cluster from the primary site can fail over to the third server located at the secondary site?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You should use vradmin if you can, so if rep_prod is the hostname that resolves to your floating virtual  replication IP address at your 2-node Prod cluster (which should be in replication service group containing DG and RVG) and rep_dr is the hostname that resolves to your DR replication IP address, then command from primary node is:

vradmin -g dg_name changeip rvg_name newpri=rep_prod newsec=rep_dr 

As I said in last post, if old IPs are not up so that replication is disconnected, you can't use vradmin, so would need to use vxedit:

From primary node (active node at Prod site):

vxedit -g dg_name prod_rlink_name local_host=rep_prod
vxedit -g dg_name prod_rlink_name remote_host=rep_dr 

From secondary node (DR node):

vxedit -g dg_name dr_rlink_name local_host=rep_dr
vxedit -g dg_name dr_rlink_name remote_host=rep_prod 

Mike

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

I talked with the end user. Follow-up question:

- The servers on primary site has 2 LAN (1 LAN is not yet active). The end user wanted to use the other spare LAN for the New RLink connection.

Thus the procedures you provided applieas to what the end user wanted?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes - if you run "vradmin changeip", you can change replication from using ip/hostnames on 1st LAN to the  ip/hostnames on the 2nd LAN (you will need to make this active and add IPs to 2nd LAN first).

If you do not have a 2nd LAN on DR site, then you can omit "newsec" attribute, but you will need to make sure your network routes put the traffic over the correct interface.

Mike

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Thanks... Will inform the end user.