cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopening Thread - (VVR with Sun Cluster)

Ali_S
Level 3
Dear Forum Techies,

Requirement Info :
I'm planning to implement VVR as a replication solution for an application which is currently running on Two node SUN Cluster 3.1 with HA Oracle Service. Oracle Database is on EMC storage and the cluster is in Active/Passive configuration

- My question is whether VVR will support SUN Cluster implementation?
Has anybody implemented / tested such a solution ?
Can I have a details on the solution?

- Like VVR agent is available for Veritas Cluster Server, is there similar agent requirement for SUN Cluster. (I guess it should be).
If so is such an agent available? and where can i get it?

- I heard something Point Patch from Veritas Support but doesn't have much info on that.
Does anybody know what it is? where can it be found?
Has anybody tested it? and is this a priced patch or freely downloadable? if downloadable, whats the URL

Thank you all in Advance

Ali
3 REPLIES 3

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
You should ask Sun if they support VVR under Sun Cluster. VVR is not dependent on clustering, it simply works with Volume Manager to replicate blocks of data. As far as I know there is no agent provided with VVR or available from VERITAS/SYMANTEC for Sun Cluster.

Ali_S
Level 3
I understand Cluster agents can be developed by either Vendors, if at all they want to support the desired resource type, such as VVR.

Yes SUN can develop SUN Cluster Agent for VVR just like VCS agents and so does Veritas.

Important point is VVR tightly integrates with VCS as part of the Global cluster solution across a Disaster Recovery site and using VVR as a Host Based Replication tool.

So without changing the current HA solution (SUN Cluster based), how can the same be done. How will SUN Cluster handle or in that sense VVR will handle when a Node is SUN Cluster Fails over or Fails back?

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
The VVR agent controls VVR using the same commands that are used manually. Someone, Sun or you, need to write an agent for Sun Cluster if you want VVR clustered in Sun's cluster product. You would need to be able to issue and interpret the output of commands such as vradmin migrate, vradmin takeover, vradmin repstatus, etc.