cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THe use of VVR on SAN or virtual NAS hardware ?

John_Harkins
Level 3

Hi All,

I am now using Virtual NAS OpenFiler on my old 2U rack server and also EMC CX4-120 SAN so I wonder what would be the advantage of using this Symantec Technology ?

EMC MirrorView license is very expensive and I wonder if VVR can also work on Virtual appliance which runs on top of VMWare ESXi ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VVR is not supported on VMWare ESX (essentially Linux). For Linux distributions, it is only supported on the following 

• Linux - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (64-bit)
  • Linux - Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, and 11 (64-bit)
  • Linux - Oracle Enterprise Linux 5

You maybe able to use FileStore which is basically Linux with NAS, HA and replication functionality.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i dont know what are you trying to say

Virtual SAN or SAN provide to keep your data at centralized location and this data share by two or more than two computers.

While VVR provide you to replicate your data from one place(Computer) to another place(Computer). For example you have two different environmenst and each environment share each SAN.Now you want to replicate that data from the drive/LUN from first environment to second environment then you will use the VVR.

Your Virtual SAN will not provide the replication i think but like EMC or IBM SAN may provide SAN to SAN replication.

Note: Virtual SAN in your case Open Filer is i think an open source product which costs you free

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VVR is not supported on VMWare ESX (essentially Linux). For Linux distributions, it is only supported on the following 

• Linux - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (64-bit)
  • Linux - Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, and 11 (64-bit)
  • Linux - Oracle Enterprise Linux 5

You maybe able to use FileStore which is basically Linux with NAS, HA and replication functionality.

Mike

cmoreno1978
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

According to Symantec documentation Veritas Volume Replicator is supported inside a Virtual Machine but keep in mind that VVR can use a significant amount of network bandwidth.

Regards,