Highlighted

VVR has 2 primaries

I have successfully installed NBU on both nodes. Thanks for the help everyone.

The only outstanding issue I now have is with the replication. If this needs to be a new post in a different section let me know!

I have run the Volume Replicator Agent Configuration wizard successfully and my initial testing of failing between nodes went perfectly. However, at some point during the testing both nodes have ended up thinking that they are the primary in the GUI and I cannot see the secondaries listed, although everything looks correct in VCS and I can still bring everything online on each side with no errors. Something clearly isn't right with it though.

I have tried deleting the RDS in the GUI and using commands to create it again, but it seems to be somewhat stuck and I can't seem to remove it or change anything now! Here's the output on what should be the primary node:

C:\>vradmin -g NBUCATDG takeover nbuRVG
Error occurred on host HOST1.
Error V-106-58644-541: Primary takeover is not supported in present configuratio
n.

C:\>vradmin -g NBUCATDG stoprep nbuRVG HOST2
Error occurred on host HOST2.
Error V-106-58644-528: Cannot complete operation. RDS is incomplete, either prim
ary or secondary node is missing.

C:\>vradmin -g NBUCATDG delsec nbuRVG HOST2
Error occurred on host HOST1.
Error V-106-58644-513: This operation cannot be performed in present state of th
e configuration. Please try again.

C:\>vradmin -g NBUCATDG -f delpri nbuRVG
Failed to perform the operation.
Error V-106-58644-698: Operation not allowed. The RVG cluster resource is alread
y configured for this RVG. Use -f option to forcefully stop it.

C:\>vradmin -g NBUCATDG -f delrds nbuRDS
Failed to perform the operation.
Error V-107-58644-917: Cannot identify the correct RDS.

C:\>vradmin -l printrvg

Replicated Data Set : nbuRDS
Primary :
        Hostname    : HOST1 <localhost>
        RvgName     : nbuRVG
        DgName      : NBUCATDG
        Datavol_cnt : 1
        Srl         : vvrlog
Rlinks:
        Name = rlk_primary ,rlink_state = ACTIVE, synchronous = override

UPDATE:

After switching back to what should be the secondary node (HOST2) I found that most of the above commands give a different error: "Error V-106-58644-697: Cannot perform this operation on an acting secondary RVG". However in the VEA GUI it is listed as the primary.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution!

When you do a takeover, when

When you do a takeover, when the old primary comes back it becomes an acting secondary.  To return this to a full secondary, Try running:

vradmin -g NBUCATDG fbsync nbuRVG 
 
If it doesn't work on one node, then try the other node.
If command doesn't work on either host, then post output (from both nodes) of:
 
vxprint -P
vxrlink -g NBUCATDG status rlink_name_from_vxprint-P_output
 
 
Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Accepted Solution!

When you do a takeover, when

When you do a takeover, when the old primary comes back it becomes an acting secondary.  To return this to a full secondary, Try running:

vradmin -g NBUCATDG fbsync nbuRVG 
 
If it doesn't work on one node, then try the other node.
If command doesn't work on either host, then post output (from both nodes) of:
 
vxprint -P
vxrlink -g NBUCATDG status rlink_name_from_vxprint-P_output
 
 
Mike

View solution in original post

Hi Mike - that's probably the

Hi Mike - that's probably the easiest fix you've had all week!

The first command that you mentioned (vradmin) got it halfway there and then bringing the RVGPrimary resource online on the other node again straightened everything out. I have no idea what went wrong in the first place but I've tested switching between nodes and the replication has reversed each time with no further problems.

Thanks again for all your help with the recent issues!