cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Volume Replicator replicates HP VLS deduplicate data to DR

sajid_ahmed_sid
Level 2
Partner Accredited

We are using Netbackup 7.0.1 and we also have HP VLS 12000 in our ifrastructure and VLS deduplicated all the data in our infrastructure. I just need to know Veritas Volume Replicator replicates the VLS deduplicated data from primary to DR site??

If Yes then any extra licenses we require for this.

Let me inform one thing VVR has not been setup yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VVR replicates at block level so will replicate any filesystem with any type of data and even raw volumes.

You can do initial sync by tape, disk copy, or nework, after which VVR replicates continuously.  VVR does not really replicate incrementally or differentially, it has just 3 modes:

1. Synchronous: Writes are not acknowledged until written at Primary and received by Secondary
  2. Asynchronous: Writes are acknowledged when written at Primary (so may be written at Secondary some time later)
  3. Synchronus override: Same as Synchronous, but if network fails, the replication automatically switches to Async, rather than failing write

Mike

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Sajid,

I have to start with, I'm not familar with the HP VLS 12000 deduplication features.  However, I don't think VVR is aware of the deduplication that is done on the HP VLS 12000.  As such, I'm sure it will replication the entire volume (duplicated data and all) to the VVR secondaries.  If you have another HP VLS 12000 at the VVR secondary site then the data will be deduplicated when it is written to the array on that side.

Maybe someone more familiar with the HP VLS 12000 will be able to comment on this configuration.

Thanks,

Wally

sajid_ahmed_sid
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Dear Wally,

Yes there is a HP VLS 12000 at DR site as well. So as what i understand VVR will replicate all the thing which is reside in the particular volume which is either deduplicated data or any other data VVR just replicate this data to the DR site, first time VVR will replicate all the data in the volume and then it will replicate incrementally or differentially.

Am I rite??

Regards,

Sajid Ahmed Siddiqui

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VVR replicates at block level so will replicate any filesystem with any type of data and even raw volumes.

You can do initial sync by tape, disk copy, or nework, after which VVR replicates continuously.  VVR does not really replicate incrementally or differentially, it has just 3 modes:

1. Synchronous: Writes are not acknowledged until written at Primary and received by Secondary
  2. Asynchronous: Writes are acknowledged when written at Primary (so may be written at Secondary some time later)
  3. Synchronus override: Same as Synchronous, but if network fails, the replication automatically switches to Async, rather than failing write

Mike

sajid_ahmed_sid
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Thanks Mike for clearification.

Its mean VVR first sync full and then replicate only changed data to other site.

Moreover, is VVR sync vice versa?

Sajid 

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes VVR only replicates changes, but if you change the same block twice it will send both changes.

Not sure what you mean by "is VVR sync vice versa".  Only the primary can be written to and the secondary is read-only and is not even available to be read.  The primary and secondary roles can easily be reversed, if you need to run from DR site and a resync from scratch is not neccesary in this instance.

Mike