cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What volume name does VVR use for replication?

Mark_Tkachyk
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I'm about to implement volume replication with InfoScale 7.0 on windows.   Currently, InfoScale is only installed on the new DR server and isn't on the production server yet.   When I look at the VEA console, select my disk group and click on the volumes tab, I see all the volumes I have set up.   But there is a Volume column and a Volume Name column.   For example, Volume MailArchive01 is known with the internal volume name of Volume2.

For various reasons, the volumes are being created in advance on our DR server and I understand that VVR will replicate volume-to-volume.   But will it be replicating MailArchive01 to MailArchive01 or Volume2 to Volume2?    The internal volume names seem to be arbitrarily assigned by the software, so when I install in production, there is no guarantee that they are all going to be mapped to the same internal names.   For example, it could be MailArchive01:Volume2 on DR and MailArchive01:Volume3 on Prod.  I see that there is an option to "change internal volume name" in the VEA console but don't know if this is necessary.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The internal volume is the one VVR uses - the other name used for volumes is the volume label (you can change the volume label in the O/S).  The internal volume is not usually changed after creation, but if they do not match for VVR then you would need to make them the same and I would suggest you give them the same name as the volume label.

Mike

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The internal volume is the one VVR uses - the other name used for volumes is the volume label (you can change the volume label in the O/S).  The internal volume is not usually changed after creation, but if they do not match for VVR then you would need to make them the same and I would suggest you give them the same name as the volume label.

Mike