cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about mounting a failed volume...

Steven__Beebe
Level 2
Hello everyone,
First, thank you for much for any suggestions and comments. Here is the situation. I have 2 workstations with VVR 4.1 and Solaris 9 on both of them. The Replicated Volume Group is setup just fine, as a synchronous RVG. Everything looks good, RLINK, data transfer, etc...I created some test files on the primary.. no problem... Now I pull the ethernet cord out of the primary VVR as a fire drill. I now log onto the secondary, I can only mount the data volume of the RVG in read only-mode. I tried several different mount commands. The data is there on the secondary when I mount it in read only mode. How can I mount data volume and use it in read/write mode on the secondary? I tried failing over the secondard as the new primary several ways. I did get one error message "not super user" when trying to mount the data volume in read/write mode. No error messages when mounted in read only mode, good data.. 2nd question when VVR fails, what should it do? should it create a directory and mount the RVG automatically? I read through the PDF guides like crazy and I am still stuck on this concept. Thanks Again,

Steven
2 REPLIES 2

Steven__Beebe
Level 2
One additional note to the question above, I was logged in as the super user (root). The error message said ""21252:not super user" when I tried mounting the data volume as root user: Mount command used was --- mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/diskgroup1/vol2 /data --- created mount error messages. When I mounted with the command mount -F vxfs ro /dev/vx/dsk/diskgroup1/vol2 /data --- no problems, could read the data just fine.

Steven

Karin_Sanati
Not applicable
This might be a stupid question, but are you taking over the primary role? My understanding is that as long as VVR is running and your server is considered a secondary VVR would not mount the volumes in rw mode. the proper way of doing this would be to take over the primary role or promote this secondary to become the primary before you mount the file systems in rw mode. I believe, this is sort of making sure you are going through the proper decision making process for a site failover.