Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a single disk to a DG

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Hello,

We need to bring a disk to veritas volume manger, but disk has data on it. Is it possible to bring inside  veritas volume manager? I am afraid that it will delete the data from the disk. Am I right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If datadg is a diskgroup and there is a volume, say called datavol which is on two disks datadg01 and datadg02, then if you want to extend volume onto a new datadg03, then you don't need to use vxdg join, just add disk to diskgroup (using vxdg adddisk) and then extend volume on to new disk using "vxassist growby", or you can do all this in the GUI - see SFW admin guide for CLI and GUI usage

Mike

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If data is on a partition and you upgrade disk from basic to dynamic, then the partition will be converted into a volume - see extract from SFW admin guide:

The basic disk does not have to include a partition on it; but if it does, a primary
partition becomes a simple dynamic volume and any logical drives within an
extended partition also become simple volumes. The extended partition will no
longer exist.
The process of upgrading a basic partition to a dynamic volume is called
"encapsulation," because it encapsulates the partition information within the
dynamic volume structure.

If your data is on a volume and you want to add volume to an existing diskgroup then you can join diskgroup using "vxdg join" (or I would guess select "join" by right clicking on diskgroup in VEA)

Both these methods will preserve the data

Mike

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much. It is like unix encapsulating the rootdisk under veritas volume manager?  When you say basic, it means outside of VVM?

Gaurav_singh
Level 4

@Mike..

Did you want tro say like that I have an existing volume with datadg(datadg01 and datadg02) and I want to add a third one as datadg03.. Do then i need to use vxdg join.

I would be pleasure if you help with syntax?

May you?

Thanks,

Gary

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes basic disk is outside of vxvm and like UNIX you can encapulate boot O/S disk or data disks.  Unlike UNIX it is more difficult to unencapsulate as there is no supported method - see https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migrating-veritas-storage-foundation-volume-windows-d...

Mike

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If datadg is a diskgroup and there is a volume, say called datavol which is on two disks datadg01 and datadg02, then if you want to extend volume onto a new datadg03, then you don't need to use vxdg join, just add disk to diskgroup (using vxdg adddisk) and then extend volume on to new disk using "vxassist growby", or you can do all this in the GUI - see SFW admin guide for CLI and GUI usage

Mike